The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Filling Vacancies of Elected Officers

Guest eem2

Our president has resigned and the vice president will assume the office of president in 60 days.  It's my understanding that we should elect someone to fill the open vice president's position.  Someone stated that the new president has the option of appointing a vice president to fill the position until we have the election of officers in June 2015.  What is the rule on this topic?  (the bylaws are silent on the subject).

....  It's my understanding that we should elect someone to fill the open vice president's position. ...

That's right.

...  Someone stated that the new president has the option of appointing a vice president to fill the position until we have the election of officers in June 2015.  ....

That's wrong.

Our president has resigned and the vice president will assume the office of president in 60 days.

60 days?

Per RONR, the vice-president becomes the president the moment the (former) president's resignation is accepted. Are you really going to be without a president for sixty days? Do your rules really say you have to wait? Or did your president resign with sixty days (advance) notice. I'll assume it's the latter explanation. 

Someone stated that the new president has the option of appointing a vice president to fill the position until we have the election of officers in June 2015.  What is the rule on this topic?

Ask them to show you where it states, in either the organization's By-laws or RONR, that the President appoints the Vice-President.  They certainly won't find it in RONR, and I doubt they will in the By-laws (but not reading the By-laws of your particular organization, who knows.)  The power to accept the resignation brings the power to appoint a vacancy.  If the Board can accept resignations then it can appoint someone to the vacancy.

• 3 weeks later...

Our Treasurer just submitted her Letter of Resignation.  Who is responsible for our financials until a new Treasurer can be voted in?

With luck, your bylaws provide for this eventuality.  I'm pretty sure RONR doesn't.

But I can't think of anything in RONR that would prohibit the assembly (or the board of directors, if it has that authority) from authorizing anyone to pay the bills and deposit the income.

(For the future, this forum works best if you post a new question as a new topic thread, even though your question is related to an earlier one.)

We have a five member Board.  One is resigning.  We now have two against two voting.  How do we break this deadlock?

If you're voting to elect a replacement, you keep voting. If you're voting on a motion, the motion is defeated. It's a popular misconception that a board with an even number of members will frequently result in tie votes. For one thing, a member could be absent or a member could abstain (from voting). For another, as noted, a tie vote (in all cases but elections) simply defeats the motion. So no big deal.

By the way, this forum works best if you post your new question as a new topic, even if you find an existing topic that's similar.

Archived