The Official RONR Q & A Forums

We have a tie to remove aboard member, one abstained now what?

Guest Mimi

We have taken a vote with one abstaining. Pres. has voted too. Do we call anther vote until we get a majority?

If a vote is a tie, the motion is defeated. In the ordinary case, a member can make a defeated motion again at a later meeting, although it is certainly not required. In the case of disciplinary procedures, however, things may be more complicated. Be sure to check what your bylaws say about discipline (or see FAQ #20 if they are silent).

Hi Josh, sure appreciate the answer. It is a board vote to remove a non -performing board member. We are tied , our bylaws do not address the process for removal, except to say we can. Was told by someone we must reach a majority. So must vote again. I don't see what difference it will make as the abstaining vote will not be moved. Are we supposed to vote until we reach majority or is this a pipe dream, I don't see it happening. Please advise.

Actually, all things being equal, you have reached a decision.  The motion to remove the member didn't get a majority, which means it failed, so that is the end of it, for now.   You, collectively, decided not to remove him, by defeating the removal motion.

You can renew (i.e., make again) the motion to remove at the next meeting/session; perhaps somebody will change their mind, or perhaps not.

Hi Josh, sure appreciate the answer. It is a board vote to remove a non -performing board member. We are tied , our bylaws do not address the process for removal, except to say we can. Was told by someone we must reach a majority. So must vote again. I don't see what difference it will make as the abstaining vote will not be moved. Are we supposed to vote until we reach majority or is this a pipe dream, I don't see it happening. Please advise.

No, that's nonsense.  When a motion does not receive a majority vote, it simply fails, whether it was a tie, or a unanimous "No" vote, the result is the same.

At this point, you should do whatever you would ordinarily do if the motion lost in a landslide.  

The chair simply says "The motion is defeated, and the next item of business is....."

Archived