The Official RONR Q & A Forums

reports

Guest Deb Davidson

In the usual case, the treasurer's report should not be voted on: RONR 11th page 479 l5-8: "No action of acceptance by the assembly is required - or proper ..." with some exceptions given therein. 

In general however, an officer should not be the one to make a motion on his own report : RONR 11th page 477, l2-3

RONR (11th ed.), p. 480, ll. 3-13.  "If the treasurer presents an unaudited annual report or other financial report that the bylaws require to be audited, and if there is a standing auditing committee or if auditors have already been chosen in some other manner, the chair, without waiting for a motion when the treasurer has finished reading his report, immediately says, "The report is referred to the Auditing Committee [or "to the auditors," or "to the Trustees for audit"]."

However, if the report contains recommendations (such as transferring a surplus into a savings account or other investment) then a member of the Board should move the recommendation(s).

I'd just say "a member." It's not clear whether the question is about a meeting of the board or of the general membership.

I regards to RRO p. 477 "Motions to adopt or implement any recommendations should be made from the floor by a member other than the reporting officer."  The words "should be" are somewhat ambiguous to me.  Is it out of order for an officer to make a motion to allocate funds to support the implementation of his report or is it just bad practice?

I regards to RRO p. 477 "Motions to adopt or implement any recommendations should be made from the floor by a member other than the reporting officer."  The words "should be" are somewhat ambiguous to me.  Is it out of order for an officer to make a motion to allocate funds to support the implementation of his report or is it just bad practice?

The motion is in order. although I also concur with Mr. Novosielski and therefore would suggest that saying it is just bad practice may be letting the officer off a bit easy. :)

Archived