The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bullying Board member

Guest Sarah J.

A board member has been bullying the director of our organization with incessant E-mails, condescending remarks in front of other people, and demanding things be done his way.
I would like to ask how to pursue a method to curtail this behavior. he has unilaterally decided his ways are the best and has bullied committee chairpersons as well.

The board president has been advised of this behavior..Should the president be the only one to handle this or should it be brought in front of the entire B.O.T.? 
Our director is at her wits end, and may resign if this does not stop..

The board president has been advised of this behavior..Should the president be the only one to handle this . . . 

No. The entire board should oppose any inappropriate behavior on the part of one of its members. I also suspect there may be some gender issues here since the alleged bully is (apparently) male and the president is (apparently) female. Give your president the support she deserves.

Hint: One thing most bullies can't stand is being embarrassed. Their skin is usually very thin.

It is our Executive Director who (female) is being harassed..She is not a board member, but was hired by the board..  The person in question is a male who claims vast experience in all areas.

I do want to give her the support she needs .. She is a part time employee who is working far beyond the hours for which she gets paid..
I just want to follow protocol and do the right and just thing without having to cause more discord..

I thank all for their input from this discussion board..

It is our Executive Director who (female) is being harassed..She is not a board member, but was hired by the board..  The person in question is a male who claims vast experience in all areas.

I do want to give her the support she needs .. She is a part time employee who is working far beyond the hours for which she gets paid..
I just want to follow protocol and do the right and just thing without having to cause more discord..

The important thing here is that she was hired by the Board, not by one member of the board. 

Archived