The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Yea, Nay, Abstain and...Pass?

Guest That Guy

To set the stage, I'm in a group that is bound by RONR but hates to use it because they see it as 'sneaky' and so take every liberty to short-circuit the process, even though everyone has a copy but only uses it to deny someone else a maneuver.  I'm slowly winning the battle to get them to do it right, but...

It has been an unvoted "tradition" to allow a "pass" vote in both in-person and telephonic meetings, the idea supposedly being that the member "hasn't made up their mind" and wishes a little more time to contemplate.  I'll not speak to the motivations for this, as your imagination probably has it figured out already.

I don't find it as a permissible vote to make, especially in the ever-constant roll call which telephonic meetings require.

Am I wrong?  Does the "unvoted tradition (no record of a vote to approve this)" trump RONR in this instance as an established precedent?

To set the stage, I'm in a group that is bound by RONR but hates to use it because they see it as 'sneaky' and so take every liberty to short-circuit the process, even though everyone has a copy but only uses it to deny someone else a maneuver.  I'm slowly winning the battle to get them to do it right, but...

It has been an unvoted "tradition" to allow a "pass" vote in both in-person and telephonic meetings, the idea supposedly being that the member "hasn't made up their mind" and wishes a little more time to contemplate.  I'll not speak to the motivations for this, as your imagination probably has it figured out already.

I don't find it as a permissible vote to make, especially in the ever-constant roll call which telephonic meetings require.

Am I wrong?  Does the "unvoted tradition (no record of a vote to approve this)" trump RONR in this instance as an established precedent?

Yes, you are wrong.  "Pass" is specifically permitted for someone not ready to vote (p. 421, ll. 7-8).

Your other question is not relevant, since this is not an "unvoted tradition."

When a person responds "Pass" during a roll-call vote, that is not recorded as their vote.  That is a request to be temporarily passed over.  The next name on the list is called, and when all names have been called, people who passed will have their names called again.   At that point, they may cast their vote, or if they wish, may abstain.

Archived