The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion not on agenda in order?

yood

Hi again,

I am secretary of 10 member board of a 500-member club and we have a board meeting tomorrow. We follow RONR (relaxed) in addition to our by-laws and standing rules.

I have found at least 3 expenditures of the board (or president) which are not in line of the club's by-laws totalling about 1000$. We also have less reciepts yet more members over the past 2 fiscal years... We have a new treasurer taking office and have not had an audit in recent memory (or ever).

When the Treasurer's report comes up on the agenda, after the report would it be in order for me to motion for an audit? Would such a motion have to be on the agenda? Would it be in order at the end of the meeting under 'new business'? The president sends out the agenda a few days before the meeting, but we never approve it, officially or otherwise. Is my only hope to try to get it put on the agenda at the beginning of the meeting and ask for approval of the agenda?

Some people would never want to see an audit, so how does one get something like that discussed/motioned?

Thankx in advace.

mark

When the Treasurer's report comes up on the agenda, after the report would it be in order for me to motion for an audit?

If this is the annual Treasurer's Report, you could actually raise a Point of Order that an audit is required, followed by an Appeal if necessary. (RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 479-480)

Otherwise, no, such a motion would not be in order at that time.

Would such a motion have to be on the agenda?

No rule in RONR would require it.

Would it be in order at the end of the meeting under 'new business'?

Yes.

he president sends out the agenda a few days before the meeting, but we never approve it, officially or otherwise. Is my only hope to try to get it put on the agenda at the beginning of the meeting and ask for approval of the agenda?

No, that is not your only hope. You could also make the motion during New Business.

An agenda distributed by the President is not binding on the assembly unless and until it is approved by the assembly, by majority vote. The agenda may be amended while it is pending for approval by majority vote. See FAQ #14. Even if it is approved, however, members may still make motions which are not on the agenda under New Business.

Josh,

Thankx so much for your insights. From them, I researched some more and have some follow-up observations/questions..

1. We have never had an annual report or an annual audit, so I'm thinking I can 'point of order' that and request one after the Treasurer's report...?

2. We never approve the agenda. The by-laws and standing rules have no mention of agenda. Therefore, I'm thinking that since the 'agenda' we use is non-binding, I can motion (politely, of course) at will during any lull in the action...?

best,

mark

1. We have never had an annual report or an annual audit, so I'm thinking I can 'point of order' that and request one after the Treasurer's report...?

No. A Point of Order must be timely. It's too late to raise a Point of Order regarding the lack of annual reports and audits from years past. 

2. We never approve the agenda. The by-laws and standing rules have no mention of agenda. Therefore, I'm thinking that since the 'agenda' we use is non-binding, I can motion (politely, of course) at will during any lull in the action...?

It is correct (as I noted), that the agenda is non-binding. In such a case, the assembly would use the standard order of business in RONR, so the appropriate time to make your motion is still during New Business.

Given the troubling state of affairs, I would move that an audit be conducted as soon as possible. Depending on the size and complexity of the society's finances, this could either be an internal audit by an auditing committee created for this purpose, or an external audit conducted by professionals.

After that audit has been handled, it may be prudent to adopt rules to ensure that annual reports and audits are completed in a regular fashion in the future.

Archived