The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motion

Guest Humera Toric

One my actions as president has been questioned by one director who is also one of the founding member of the society. Because of this fact, since i became president, he has been bringing obstacles in front of me hindering me from carrying out my duties smoothly and sometimes he has even been against the bylaws but I overlooked dileberately. I did such initially and only addressed when things started going out of hand. Recently He wrote a very harsh email to all executives, strongly condemning one of my actions and calling it against our society constitution and bylaws and warns that he will motion in the next meeting to immediately cease my action. The thing is my actions are not in breach of our constitution by laws I have not broken any rules. In order not to engage in any uncomfortable discourse. I simply wrote to him that his concerns are duly noted' and thought of letting him bring in the motion. My question is Should I have explained him in that email everything that his accusation is wrong? And can such motion be moved when it has no bases? Also if such motions are moved, what will be my position since being the President? I need to explain my actions unnecessarily to him and others, will I therefore be presiding this motion? Besides I thought of dealing officially his past breaches as well so that all matters are settled once and for all. Please advise...

Whether or not the gentleman is correct depends on the bylaws and their interpretation (which is not something this forum does), but it is quite possible that the organization retains the authority to overturn your actions, so the motion may be in order. I'm assuming you mean actions other than those of presiding at a meeting.

It is my opinion and not so much RONR that it is in your best interest to treat his motion to rescind your action as a valid motion. Don't relinquish the chair unless someone asks you to, in which case, step aside gracefully. And get behind the decision of the members, whatever it is.

Archived