The Official RONR Q & A Forums

General Meeting

Guest Guest

Is there a rule in Robert's Rules of Order that indicates that there is one vote at a general or membership meeting when there are two owners (or more) present?  If there is one owner present for one unit and four owners present for another, can one have one vote and the other four?  There is nothing in the bylaws of the organization that indicate how to address general meetings, just for voting (one per unit).    

RONR has it that there is one vote per person at a meeting (members, of course).

But multiple owners of a single "voting unit" -- if that is what you call them -- are not covered in RONR, so you will have to figure out what your rules actually are. P. 588ff. in RONR may help in figuring out how to decide on your rules (but not what your rules are).

There is nothing in the bylaws of the organization that indicate how to address general meetings, just for voting (one per unit).    

If your rules say "one vote per unit" then the rule is one vote per unit (regardless of how many unit owners might attend a meeting). How those multiple owners decide on how to cast their one vote is up to them to figure out.

If your rules say "one vote per unit" then the rule is one vote per unit (regardless of how many unit owners might attend a meeting). How those multiple owners decide on how to cast their one vote is up to them to figure out.

Thanks for the responses!

There is one vote per unit for election purposes only (sorry if I wasn't clear!).  But the bylaws do not indicate anything such as how many votes a unit with multiple owners would get at a general membership meeting regarding any motion than it is by a show of hands.  I am concerns about being fair; a unit with one owner would get one vote, but a unit with 7 owners would get 7 votes; it may make a difference on passing or defeating a motion.  

There is one vote per unit for election purposes only (sorry if I wasn't clear!).

Well, we can't properly interpret your bylaws here (that's beyond the scope of this forum) but I'd probably argue that the "units", not the owners, are the members of the association. I also suspect that, since this is apparently a homeowners association, there are applicable State laws (so you might want to consult an attorney). As you observe, it would make no sense to give one unit seven votes while another unit gets only one vote. Or what of a unit that's owned by a corporation? On the other hand some units could (because of their size or value) conceivably have more votes than other units. Kind of like owning more shares in a corporation. Again, I'd check with an attorney (or see what similar associations are doing).

In normal circumstances this question would be decided by the members but, of course, the question here is: who are the members?

To repeat, I'd probably argue that, since the only reference to voting in the bylaws is "one vote per unit", that's the default standard.

Archived