The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President resigned, what now

Guest danderson992000

Guest danderson992000

I am on the "board of directors" for a local fire department. Our president just resigned and now we are trying to figure out what needs to be done. our organization elected a new person to fill the old presidents spot. Does this new person automatically assume the president position or do we need to elect a new president? Or would the VP just move up to president? We have two people fighting for the position of president and the board seems evenly split on who it should be. It is not clearly stated in our by-laws how to proceed.  We know very little about the proper procedure for something like this, any help would be appreciated. 

ok, thanks. Do you have any idea if that is stated in the book and where? I have looked through it an not found anything, Just trying to cover all the bases, i know there is going to be some push back if i suggest the VP moves to Pres. 

Thanks Again. 

Do you have any idea if that is stated in the book and where?

Page 458, lines 8-13.

As always, your rules may vary.

i know there is going to be some push back if i suggest the VP moves to Pres.

The primary function of the vice-president is to fill in if the president is absent (either temporarily or permanently). Some of your members may be old enough to remember the assassination of President Kennedy. The moment he died Lyndon Johnson became President (the swearing-in aboard the plane back to Washington was just a formality). The idea being that the office of president is so important that it should never be vacant.

Archived