The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Documenting Motion Opposition

Guest Secretary

I am the Secretary of an organization following RRoO. At the last meeting there were two requests to note the names of particular votes in opposition to motions that passed. One of these motions was a voice vote and one was a numeric tally. None were roll call votes. I had understood that the only enumeration by name was in a roll call vote. Is this correct? If not, what is the appropriate way for me to specify this? If there are differences for voice and numeric tally, what is the appropriate way for me to specify this for each?

You are correct that the only method of voting where a member's name is attributed to their vote (for the purpose of being included in the minutes) is a Roll Call vote.  When the vote was taken by another method the member can request the minutes reflect that he or she voted a certain way but the assembly is under no obligation to grant such a request.

Thanks. Can you provide me the relevant section of RRoO should I be asked why I have not attributed this informtion?

"When a count has been ordered or the vote is by ballot, the number of votes on each side should be entered; and when the voting is by roll call, the names of those voting on each side and those answering "Present" should be entered." (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 470)

Archived