The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Term of office

Guest janet cunningham

Guest janet cunningham

Our By-laws provide that officers be elected at the annual meeting.  The term of office is also fixed by the By-laws.  From time to time, we need to elect an officer outside of the annual meeting, (also permitted by the By-laws). When does this term end?  For example, our annual meeting is in August.  We elected a Vice President in December 2012.  A Vice President's term lasts for two years. Does this term end in August 2014 or August 2015.  (This was a new position - there was no "old" term to finish out. 

We elected a Vice President in December 2012.  A Vice President's term lasts for two years. Does this term end in August 2014 or August 2015.  (This was a new position - there was no "old" term to finish out. 

If you elected someone in December 2012 to a new position with a two-year term I see no reason why the term wouldn't end in December 2014. If you've created ambiguities in your bylaws you'll need to, collectively, figure out what they mean. And then amend them to remove those ambiguities.

For future reference, you might have included a "proviso" when electing this new position so that it would mesh with your normal electoral schedule (i.e. stipulate that, for this first election, the term would expire in August 2015).

Our By-laws provide that officers be elected at the annual meeting.  The term of office is also fixed by the By-laws.  From time to time, we need to elect an officer outside of the annual meeting, (also permitted by the By-laws). When does this term end?  For example, our annual meeting is in August.  We elected a Vice President in December 2012.  A Vice President's term lasts for two years. Does this term end in August 2014 or August 2015.  (This was a new position - there was no "old" term to finish out. 

When you amended the bylaws to create this position, you probably should have adopted a proviso to resolve these problems. Since you didn't, see RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 588-591 for some Principles of Interpretation. Based only on the facts provided, I think August 2014 or December 2014 are reasonable interpretations. I doubt it would last until August 2015 without a proviso.

Archived