The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Taking over an Organization

Guest Andy Lange

There is an organization that is having difficulty with various groups of people trying to take over the organization. 

Some members wanted to throw out the president, and in failing to do so, they set up a "presiding committee" and announced that they were now moving forward to "take over" the organization from the current board officers.   This is happening in New Mexico and I'm not sure what their state laws refer to about this, but it doesn't sound right to me that some people can form a "presiding Committee" and simply take over the organization (which is a 501© 3 org). 

I researched RRO and didn't find an answer here, would anyone know if this is even possible?  The organization's bylaws have no statement about this at all. 

A committee cannot be created without the organization voting to do so. Though I suppose a group of members of the organization could create a different organization that they call "The Presiding Committee." The method they would need to use to "take over" the organization would be to establish enough support within the original organization to get their people elected to the board. For a better understanding of how they might do this, look at how political parties operate.

Archived