The Official RONR Q & A Forums

HOA Board size

Guest Renee

Robert's Rules does not really care.  Obviously, one person may be too few, and in most cases the Board will need at least two officers (a Presiding Officer/Chairman/President and a Secretary) but may also benefit from having a Treasurer.  But the total number of directors and officers the organization requires is up to the organization.

Do Robert's Rules have anything to say on Board size . . . 

As noted, RONR leaves that up to each organization to determine. If the board is very large (a few dozen members?) and/or if its members are widely scattered, an organization might also want to have an executive committee, a smaller body which RONR describes as "a board within a board".

That said, I've always been partial to a nine-member board serving staggered three-year terms. That way, each year, there's the potential for three new board members while maintaining some continuity with the remaining six. And, given the possibility of occasional absences, a nine-member board might end up with the seven members present that you're considering.

There are many considerations for an organization in determining the size and composition of a board. The nature of the organization and the needs to get accomplished are vital factors in that determination. I am a Board member and officer of an organization where the Board has most of the power and responsibility in governing the organization, while the membership's role is, primarily, to elect board members. For organizations like ours, I lean strongly towards a a seven person board, which is what we have. I prefer seven over a smaller number because seven gives us a better opportunity to have more diverse views, but generally done in a polite and courteous way. I do not like more than seven for the following reasons:

1. When Board get larger, each member often starts to feel that showing up for the monthly meeting is not that important.

2. As a particular officer, I am responsible for preparing reports, status, policy reviews, proposals for future initiatives, and so on. More Board members means more copies and more notifications and reminders of meetings, deadlines, etc.

3. With seven, we can assign each Board member specific tasks or certain committee membership or assignments. When a Board gets larger, there is an increased tendency to have Board members who see their role primarily to stir up trouble.

Archived