The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Parliamentarian to work online on bylaws

mikalac

A meritorius post from another thread:

DrE: I would strongly suggest that the OP contact the National Association of Parliamentarians  or the American Institute of Parliamentarians to find a local, experienced parliamentarian.  It doesn't matter so much which one, as membership overlaps quite a bit. Also, you may be surprised at how affordable their help can be... many are retirees with this unusual hobby. Well I guess it is cheaper then model trains. 

DrE: Such a person could then look at your current bylaws in detail and advise you on how to proceed.  They could also review your proposed revision, which I strongly recommend, as undertaking a full bylaw revision without a solid understanding of such issues as adjourned vs. special meetings, agenda vs order of business, etc. is bound to lead to future  problems.

Me: I would not want to start with the original bylaws because they are 50 pages written in the 90s (no email, no indication of the 80s reforms in legal writing) by the developer's lawyer who seems to have played hooky from most of his high school English classes. They were then tweaked by a lawyer to fit each new development. Starting from the original bylaws would be way too expensive.

Me: Instead, since I already improved them (IMO) with over 200 changes ranging from simple typos, punctuation, plain English style, etc. to eliminating the developer and adding some substantive changes that transfer power from the Board to the Association owners, I would present my draft to him/her via Internet and we have a go at them online, which would cut down the cost of the project. Is this approach feasible?

Norm

A meritorius post from another thread:

DrE: I would strongly suggest that the OP contact the National Association of Parliamentarians  or the American Institute of Parliamentarians to find a local, experienced parliamentarian.  It doesn't matter so much which one, as membership overlaps quite a bit. Also, you may be surprised at how affordable their help can be... many are retirees with this unusual hobby. Well I guess it is cheaper then model trains. 

DrE: Such a person could then look at your current bylaws in detail and advise you on how to proceed.  They could also review your proposed revision, which I strongly recommend, as undertaking a full bylaw revision without a solid understanding of such issues as adjourned vs. special meetings, agenda vs order of business, etc. is bound to lead to future  problems.

Me: I would not want to start with the original bylaws because they are 50 pages written in the 90s (no email, no indication of the 80s reforms in legal writing) by the developer's lawyer who seems to have played hooky from most of his high school English classes. They were then tweaked by a lawyer to fit each new development. Starting from the original bylaws would be way too expensive.

Me: Instead, since I already improved them (IMO) with over 200 changes ranging from simple typos, punctuation, plain English style, etc. to eliminating the developer and adding some substantive changes that transfer power from the Board to the Association owners, I would present my draft to him/her via Internet and we have a go at them online, which would cut down the cost of the project. Is this approach feasible?

Norm

This question should be addressed to the parliamentarian you contact to help you do the job. This forum is not the place for it.

Archived