The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amending bylaws using scope

Guest Yoda

Our bylaws require 25 day notice and 2/3 approval for changes and amendments. RR has a process of using "notice of scope" to make further proposed changes at the meeting with only a majority vote. Scope is defined in RR only with a range of numbers which set the limits of the proposed change.

Questions:

1. Do our bylaws preclude use of scope.

2. I have only seen examples of scope using numbers. Does scope not apply to wording

changes(other than grammar)?

3. I have only seen examples of scope in raising a numerical value, as in raising dues, as from 200 to 250, for example. My understanding is that would set the maximum raise at 250 and create a range of majority allowed changes proposed at the meeting not to exceed 250. But what if there is notice of a reduction to 150 from 200 and it makes sense for the organization to make a further reduction? Why should the principle of scope define a range?

1) That depends on what exactly the bylaws mean by "changes."  When it comes to the bylaws "amending" them and "changing" them might mean the same thing.

2) I'm sure that scope of notice could be applied to non-numerical provisions as well but I will let someone supply an example of it.

3) The purpose of scope of notice is to protect the rights of absentees.  Let's say that the original dues amount was $200 and the proposed change was to $150.  A member seeing the noticed change may be perfectly fine with the dues remaining at the current amount or even being lowered to $150 and choose to stay home.  However, this member may not want to see the dues raised or being lowered too far (below $150) and would have attended the meeting if it were proposed to speak and vote against it.  With there being a range the absent members who are fine with the dues being $150-200 can feel assured the assembly isn't going to run amok and eliminate them completely or raise them to $500. 

2. I have only seen examples of scope using numbers. 

That's because those are the easiest, and clearest, examples to give. It can get tricky beyond that so, in the end, it's up to the assembly to determine whether any changes to a proposed amendment fall outside the scope of the notice.

1. Do our bylaws preclude use of scope.

No, I don't think so.

2. I have only seen examples of scope using numbers. Does scope not apply to wording changes(other than grammar)?

Yes, numbers are just easier for illustrating the concept. :)

For a simple wording example, suppose that the bylaws currently consist of the following officers: President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary. An amendment is proposed to replace this with the following: President, 1st Vice President, 2nd Vice President, Treasurer, Assistant Treasurer, and Secretary. A member could amend this to replace the 1st and 2nd Vice Presidents with just one Vice President, or to remove the Assistant Treasurer, but it would not be in order to add more new offices or to remove the Secretary.

3. I have only seen examples of scope in raising a numerical value, as in raising dues, as from 200 to 250, for example. My understanding is that would set the maximum raise at 250 and create a range of majority allowed changes proposed at the meeting not to exceed 250. But what if there is notice of a reduction to 150 from 200 and it makes sense for the organization to make a further reduction? Why should the principle of scope define a range?

There may be members who would oppose lowering the dues too low (perhaps feeling that this will put the finances of the organization in jeopardy), just as there are members who would oppose raising the dues too high. The scope of notice rule intends to protect both of these categories.

Archived