The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is a lack of second and no vote taken

Guest Chris Duncan

We had a motion that died due to a lack of a second. Would this be considered as an actual vote on the item in question. Our city Land Use Ordinance states  if item is voted on it has to wait 1 year before it can be brought up again. My opinion is there was no vote on item and can be brought up again before 1 year.

My opinion is there was no vote on item and can be brought up again before 1 year.

That would be my opinion too (but, of course, I haven't seen the exact language in your land-use ordinance). So make the motion again. The chair may rule that it's out of order. His ruling can be appealed. The assembly decides (by majority vote) who's "right".

We had a motion that died due to a lack of a second. Would this be considered as an actual vote on the item in question. Our city Land Use Ordinance states  if item is voted on it has to wait 1 year before it can be brought up again. My opinion is there was no vote on item and can be brought up again before 1 year.

Under RONR, any motion not-adopted may be renewed at any subsequent session. The interpretation of your municipal ordinance prohibiting a particular motion's renewal is outside of the scope of this forum. Consult your municipal attorney.

Archived