The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President's outbursts at Meetings

Bridgette

Our President had two outbursts this week.  Screeching for ORDER and gaveling, then cursing.

I'm a Board Member and I was appalled at the behavior.

I want to make a resolution at the next Board Meeting that states for the record that this behavior will not be tolerated.

Do I need a vote from the other Board members to get a resolution stated?

Our President had two outbursts this week.  Screeching for ORDER and gaveling, then cursing.

I'm a Board Member and I was appalled at the behavior.

I want to make a resolution at the next Board Meeting that states for the record that this behavior will not be tolerated.

Do I need a vote from the other Board members to get a resolution stated?

No.  A resolution which says he needs to behave himself and follow the rules seems redundant and improper.  What you CAN do, if he has any future outbursts, is have the board vote to remove him from presiding at that meeting and let the VP preside.  See http://www.robertsrules.com/interp_list.html#2006_2    Maybe if he cools his heels for a while he'll calm down.  If not, the membership can follow whatever procedures are in your rules regarding removal from office.  See FAQ#20  http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#20

Thanks George.

I don't mind being redundant.  I need it stated in the official records.  Can I do that?

Well, you can raise points of order as he violates the rules.  Points of order are recorded in the minutes.  Your board could adopt a motion of censure, which is nothing other than stating the Board's opinion regarding his conduct.  That might work just as well.  So maybe my prior answer should have been, yes.  Removing him from presiding requires a committment from your board members and might cause more problems, but it might send a good message as well.  Good luck.

Archived