The Official RONR Q & A Forums

notice of board of directors meeting

Guest Paula

Hi,  how much notice to you need to give to call a board of directors meeting?  I was notified with less than 24 hours notice that a meeting was being called, plus the meeting was being held on a legal holiday.  Is this legal?

Special meetings can only be called as provided in your organization's bylaws. So check your bylaws to see how much notice is required and whether there are any restrictions on when such meetings may be held.

I was typing a response when Josh Martin posted his.  Mine was two paragraphs at that point.  He said it in two sentences.  :-)

The only thing I can add (besides citations to RONR if you want them) is that you should be prepared to raise a point of order that there was inadequate notice of the meeting and that any action taken at the meeting is null and void.

As to whether having a meeting on a holiday is legal, we don't do legal here. 

I was typing a response when Josh Martin posted his.  Mine was two paragraphs at that point.  He said it in two sentences.  :-)

The only thing I can add (besides citations to RONR if you want them) is that you should be prepared to raise a point of order that there was inadequate notice of the meeting and that any action taken at the meeting is null and void.

As to whether having a meeting on a holiday is legal, we don't do legal here. 

But we do do legal holidays.  In fact, I'm doing one right now.

Archived