The Official RONR Q & A Forums

business mgr volunteered to be chairman of upcoming class reunion is president still in control of event

Guest michael farris

We have upcoming class reunion,only have about 10 regular attendees. One of the business mgr.

volunteered to be the chairman of the reunion,no one objected. He then appointed commitees to handle the events. He started telling everyone to stay in their lane, as if no one could cross

over and have a say about another committee,even if they saw something going wrong. He asked

the president of the class to join and be over a committee, she accepted since the body was scarce.

When the president became concerned about some things happening,she went to chairman,tried

to advise him to correct the problems class members were calling her about, he ignored her; and

went as far to say at a meeting the she was not the president over the re-union. He also said that paying dues members did not have anything to do with the reunion as far as votes, because the

dues was not funded for the re-union. I know all of this is a mouthful; please give some guidance.

He also said the bylaws did not have anything to do with the class re-union.Help!!!!!

We have upcoming class reunion,only have about 10 regular attendees. One of the business mgr.

volunteered to be the chairman of the reunion,no one objected. He then appointed commitees to handle the events. He started telling everyone to stay in their lane, as if no one could cross

over and have a say about another committee,even if they saw something going wrong. He asked

the president of the class to join and be over a committee, she accepted since the body was scarce.

When the president became concerned about some things happening,she went to chairman,tried

to advise him to correct the problems class members were calling her about, he ignored her; and

went as far to say at a meeting the she was not the president over the re-union. He also said that paying dues members did not have anything to do with the reunion as far as votes, because the

dues was not funded for the re-union. I know all of this is a mouthful; please give some guidance.

He also said the bylaws did not have anything to do with the class re-union.Help!!!!!

No the bylaws does not state anything about a class re-union,but its  does state paying dues members can vote.

I thought the president was over everything that happens in the organization, is this not true?

I thought the president was over everything that happens in the organization, is this not true?

Not necessarily. The president is just one person (whose primary responsibility is to preside at meetings of the association).

Let's assume we're talking about an alumni association and let's assume this association (not the president) created a committee to plan and hold a class reunion and let's assume the business manager of the association was selected as chair of this committee. This committee would be responsible to the body that created it (in other words, the general membership of the association), not the president.

Please feel free to correct any of these assumptions.

What exactly is your question?

No, the membership is over everything that happens in the organization. The President presides over meetings. Beyond that, he only has the authority granted by your bylaws.

How were this "chairman" and his committee(s) selected?   By a general membership meeting?  If so, by a meeting of who....what people?    Members of the class?   A group of class officers?   A group of alums who got together on their own to start planning the reunion?   Did they have authority to do that?   The president? 

I see a lot of blurred lines of authority here.  I also think that maybe the "reunion chairman" (for lack of a better term) may be on a bit of a power trip, but, if he his, I'm not sure from all these blurred lines who has the power to do anything about it.

Although dues may not be funding the reunion, they certainly entitle the class members (or whoever the dues payers are) to have some say-so in this.   

At any rate, the group or person who appointed (elected?) this person chairman certainly has the power to remove him.  I'm just not sure who that person or group is.

Some more detail from the original poster, rather than just repeatedly reposting the same information, would be helpful.

I also agree with Josh Martin's wondering "What exactly is your question?"   I'm wondering, too.

It just dawned on me that the original poster's question is probably the last part of his subject line:  ". . . is president still in control of event".

If that is the question, I agree that the answer is probably "not really".  The event chairman is most likely in charge of the event.  The reunion is still an organization event, regardless of how it's being paid for.  The president is still the president of the organization and probably has the power to call special meetings, to influence others, etc.  There needs to be a degree of cooperation between the president and the reunion chairman which does not appear to be happening.   Depending on your bylaws (if there are any) and the way the reunion committee and chairman were selected, the president may have some influence or even control over them.  Ultimately, the general membership is in charge.  Without knowing more, it is hard for us to say more.

Archived