The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ex officio

Guest bridgette

Yes, unless your  bylaws provide otherwise, a person who is a member of a committee ex officio (by virtue of his office), he has the same rights to debate and vote as a regular member.

Edited to add:  For the provisions in RONR re ex-officio  members of committees, see RONR 11th edition, page 497, lines 20 - 29.  See also page 579, lines 24 - 31.

Our president has no voice and no vote at our Board meetings

The phrase "voice and vote" (or "no voice and no vote"), while not uncommon, will not be found in RONR.

Can we assume that your president is not a member of your board?

Do your bylaws give your president a right to attend board meetings?

I guess what I'm asking is: Just what is the relationship of your president to your board?

See also FAQ #2.

Our president has no voice and no vote at our Board meetings

Do they have voice and vote when on a committee as ex oficio?

It's not clear to me that it is correct that your President has "no voice and no vote" at your Board meetings. See FAQ #1.

In any event, however, an ex-officio member of a committee has the same rights as any other member of a committee, notwithstanding his rights (or lack thereof) on the board.

I am curious/puzzled how (apparently?) the person who chairs a Board meeting (and other duties) can function "without voice or vote)"

The phrase "no voice and no vote" may be intended to mean that the individual does not have the right to speak in debate or vote, not that he cannot speak at all. This is, of course, still not correct unless the organization's bylaws provide for this or if the chair is not a member of the board.

There's no evidence that the president of this organization chairs meetings of the board. To the contrary, it seems doubtful.

Really? It doesn't seem that doubtful to me. We frequently hear about assemblies which (usually mistakenly) think that their chair cannot speak in debate or vote.

There's no evidence that the president of this organization chairs meetings of the board. To the contrary, it seems doubtful.

Really? It doesn't seem that doubtful to me. We frequently hear about assemblies which (usually mistakenly) think that their chair cannot speak in debate or vote.

We frequently do. But what I'm questioning is whether we should assume that the president of the organization is also the chairman of the board. In this instance it seems that he is not.

Archived