The Official RONR Q & A Forums

New Commissioner participation

Guest Lori Blake

Can a new commissioner participate in a rehearing case, even if they listen to the audio of the original hearing?

Any member of the body that is meeting can fully participate in that meeting. It doesn't matter if he's been a member (of the body that is meeting) for two minutes, two months, or two years. It doesn't matter if he's attended all the previous meetings or missed all the previous meetings.

In other words, a new commissioner has the same rights as an old commissioner (as long as they're both current commissioners).

Maybe someone else knows what you are talking about, but I am at a loss without more information.  What is a commissioner?  What kind of body is this?  is it some kind of judicial or quasi-judicial body?

Given the existence of commissioners, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that it is probably a commission of some sort.

What kind of body is this?

Given the existence of commissioners, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that it is probably a commission of some sort.

That's quite a (snarky?) limb.

The body could just as well be a committee or a board of which this commissioner is an ex-officio member.

I'm questioning whether this "organization" is some sort of official governmental, judicial or quasi-judicial entity because of the original poster's question, "Can a new commissioner participate in a rehearing case, even if they listen to the audio of the original hearing?"

Not many ordinary organizations of the type we usually work with get involved in rehearing cases and listening to the audio recordings of the original hearing.  I'm concerned that this entity might be some sort of public body bound by an assortment of state or local laws as to their procedure.

I did not take offense at Mr. Novosielski's comment.  I actually smiled when I read it.  :)

Archived