The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can a person be both president and secretary at the same time

Guest John Callahan

There's nothing in RONR that explicitly prohibits it but you should probably avoid it if possible.

I guess the best thing that could be said about it is that it's not as bad as the same person serving as both president and vice-president.

That, and you won't have to worry about making sure the secretary sits close to the president at meetings.

Thanks. We are a non incorporated group of sports officials with just under 100 members. I have been secretary for ten yrs and vp stepping down two months after he was elected. They are asking me to take over then step in to pres spot but want me to stay on as sec. I would much rather stay sec but having trouble finding interested members fir vp/p positions.

I would much rather stay sec but having trouble finding interested members for vp/p positions.

In a (relatively) small organization such as yours, it probably doesn't matter but if you can't at least find two members who are willing to fill the two "essential" offices of president and secretary you might want to consider the possibility that it's time to close up shop. Or maybe everyone (except you!) is happy with things just the way they are.

Archived