The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removal of President and Vice President

Guest Jeanie Saunders

Guest Jeanie Saunders

Does the Vice President automatically assume the role of President upon the removal of the President, or can there be an Interim President (Elect)?  Can the complete executive be abolished and a new executive elected ? (This is with reference to a non profit organization)

Yes, the vice-president automatically becomes the president if the president leaves office before he completes his term. There is no provision in RONR for an "interim" president although, at meetings, the assembly (the members present) can elect a president pro tem (a temporary presiding officer) to preside at the meeting.

As for "abolishing the executive" (the executive board?), you'd have to amend your bylaws. If, on the other hand, you want to remove some, or all, of the board members, see FAQ #20.

I need clarification.

If a president steps down and the vice president becomes the new president, who is the past president?

Also, after the next election of office, a new president is elected, does the vice president who stepped up to fill the stop of president become the newest past president?

Where can I find this documentation?

I need clarification.

If a president steps down and the vice president becomes the new president, who is the past president?

The president who stepped down.

Also, after the next election of office, a new president is elected, does the vice president who stepped up to fill the stop of president become the newest past president?

Yes.

Right here.

I need clarification.

The past president is clearly the person who was president and is no longer president.  Who else would it possibly be?  As long as the former vice president remains president, the person who stepped down as president is the past president.  Once this more recent president is no longer in office, he becomes the most recent past president.

Do your bylaws give the past president some sort of official role in the organization?   RONR advises against that, and so do we.  After all, ask yourself what would happen of the president didn't merely step down, but was arrested for embezzling funds from the organization.   Would you want that person on your board, for example?  

If not, you might want to remove any mention of "past president(s)" from your bylaws.

Archived