The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can I nominate myself as President and hold an election for remaining officers?

Cheynas

Hello; I am the founder of a new organization. I originally had slated 1 or 2 other colleagues to serve as the inception board (initial board) but unfortunately they were not able to commit. As of now I am creating the organization on my own and writing the ByLaws. I'd like to hold an election for the remaining office positions, once I can get our initial communication out to the qualifying members, for at least VP and /or Secretary. Can I follow through with my organization, having myself as President since I am the founder of the organization, while holding an election for the remaining open board positions, or do I need to fill all the required positions (at least secretary) prior to the organizations formal inception? 

Thank you 

I think you may be putting the cart before the horse. You don't have a president, or a board, until you have an organization (what RONR calls a "society").

I'm not sure I'd want to join an organization whose founder elected anointed himself as president but it seems to be working for Vladimir Putin. So why have elections at all? Just appoint the officers you want.

But seriously, you might want to get a copy of RONR and take a look at the section relating to forming a new society.

Can I follow through with my organization, having myself as President since I am the founder of the organization, while holding an election for the remaining open board positions, or do I need to fill all the required positions (at least secretary) prior to the organizations formal inception? 

You're getting ahead of yourself. There are no board positions before the organization's inception. You need to have the assembly adopt the bylaws first, then you'll hold elections for those positions.

At the first organizational meeting, the only officers which are elected are a Chairman and Secretary. These individuals will serve until the bylaws are adopted, at which time permanent officers can be elected. You can't just declare yourself President.

Archived