The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can bylaws be re-written,voted out;also is a non member one who does not or has never paid any dues?

Guest flo

Just need some clarification on bylaws that has been in-effect for about 2 years. At that time some voted and some didn't. Most members have stop coming to the meetings,because they say the person

that helped come up with the bylaws are using them to his favor,when he wants to.

What is a non member? Like I said earlier we have members that paid dues,but don't attend the

meetings any more, and have not paid dues this year. Can they still vote on issues this year?

What is a non member? Like I said earlier we have members that paid dues,but don't attend the meetings any more, and have not paid dues this year. Can they still vote on issues this year?

As far as RONR is concerned, the fact that a member might be "in arrears" (i.e. late) when it comes to the payment of dues is not enough to deprive him of his rights as a member. Nor is there any attendance requirement.

As always, your rules may vary.

As far as RONR is concerned, the fact that a member might be "in arrears" (i.e. late) when it comes to the payment of dues is not enough to deprive him of his rights as a member. Nor is there any attendance requirement.

As always, your rules may vary.

That is true, but, to the original poster, I ask:  What, if anything, do your bylaws say about members whose dues are delinquent?  Do they provide for suspension of voting rights or automatic removal from the rolls if not paid by a certain date?  If they are silent, then the organization would be justified in taking action to expel the member for failing to fulfill the obligations of membership. 

Unless your bylaws provide to the contrary, members who are delinquent in payment of their dues are still full-fledged members entitled to all of the rights of membership, including the right to attend meetings, to participate in debate and to vote.   RONR 11th edition on page 406, lines 25 - 30.  See also the footnote on page 6.

You really need to study your bylaws for the answers to some of your questions.  You might also consider amending them if necessary to provide for delinquency in paying dues.

Archived