The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Officers not following constitution and bylaws

Guest Marcia

Scenario:   New Board for organization of @175 made up of Pres., VP, Sec., Treasurer, Financial Secretary.    Pres. and VP clearly violating article of Constitution and by-laws.  After bringing this to their attention, stated the violation.  There has not been a response and violation continues.  What can be done?

FAQ No 20 assumes that you want to remove or expel the president and vice president.  Do you?

Short of removal from office and expulsion, you have a range of options for dealing with officers who fail to properly perform their duties.  Section 62 of Chapter XX of RONR starting on page 650 discusses those options.  They include, but aren't necessarily limited to, simply raising a point of order, various forms of censure, removal of the chair for all or part of a session, removal  from office and ultimately expulsion.  A non-disciplinary form of censure is mentioned in the footnote on page 643.

Note:  The disciplinary procedures in chapter XX of RONR are very detailed and complicated.  I urge you to get a copy of the 11th edition and to study all of chapter XX very carefully, especially section 62 re officer misconduct and dereliction of duty. 

We ( club I belong to)  just went through this as you are now. We called a special meeting with the officers and our club's attorney and had him tell them if they did not follow the by-laws and constitution that we could lose our non-profit status and be shut down by the IRS. He also made it know to them that by not going by your own rules that it is against the law and people could be charged,  That scared them enough to do a complete turn around

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mr. Simons (bobby101)

I have posted a response (#5 above) to guest Kendo (#4 above) who responded to the topic question raised by guest Marcia on 9/4/14 at 8:35 pm. The situation cited by Marcia fits exactly the situation at our club---three by-laws violations by our board.     I have been trying for more than two years to address this and trying (unsuccessfully) to get a response from our board. The sanctions ordered by the board on two of our members have already been carried out. The third I have been able to re-address and expect it to be resolved at our annual membership meeting next month.    To the RONR managers:  Am I able to contact both Marcia to discuss in more detail her situation and Kendo, her solution? I am willing to supply my contact information to both or whatever this group suggests is an appropriate way to speak with them.     My goal is to avoid the only other option I see available to me (bringing a suit in court) which I sincerely want to avoid since I expect it will roil the club, something we really don't need. The option for a special meeting is out because of time constraints with our upcoming annual membership meeting about 4 1/2 weeks away. I don't want to complicate this board's agenda unnecessarily.  The time constraint is real despite the fact that I raised these issues with our new President in early January this year. He responded to this January request and said he'd get back to me in a few days. It took him (after I prodded him again) until June to respond.    Eager to hear from the group but especially to be in personal touch with Kendo and Marcia. I'm including my personal contact information for both as part of this post to give them the option of contacting me, if they're are willing and this group's policy is to not share contact information about its members. And, yes, I note that both Kendo and Marcia are guests.  I really want to resolve this situation in the most expeditious and fair way. I am not interested in punishing or sanctioning the board in any way. Help needed and fast! Mr. Simons (bobby101) My contact information is: bobby1011@verizon.net and 610 543 6271  Thank you

To the RONR managers:  Am I able to contact both Marcia to discuss in more detail her situation and Kendo, her solution? I am willing to supply my contact information to both or whatever this group suggests is an appropriate way to speak with them.

Forum members are able to send messages to other forum members. I would not advise posting personal e-mail addresses and/or phone numbers on a public forum.

Mr. Guest; Thanks for your advice. I've heard it from a number of friends and associates and value their thoughts as I do yours. Frankly, it's a measure of my desperately looking for any way to avoid bringing suit against an organization that I've been a member of for more than 30 years and have served for a good portion of that time. We have experienced a rogue board that we're trying to slowly replace through the election process. I really want to speak to Nancy and Marcia. Mr. Simons (bobby101)

Forum members are able to send messages to other forum members. I would not advise posting personal e-mail addresses and/or phone numbers on a public forum.

I agree with "Edgar's" advice, for several reasons.  Foremost is that Google's search engine or "crawler" or whatever they call it scans the RONR forum and picks up the posts here, so your email address and phone number may wind up all over the internet.  As a guest, I don't think you can edit posts, but as a member you can.  If you cannot edit it, you might consider sending Mr. Honemann or Boss Lady a private message asking them if they can edit out your email address and/or phone number... unless you are ok with them being picked up by Google.

I believe you are already registered using one of your names.  If not, I suggest you do so and that you then post a comment in here asking Nancy and Marcia to do the same.  You can then use the forum private message feature to communicate in private or just to exchange contact information.   You have to be a member to use that, I believe.  Being a member of the forum has lots of advantages... the best of which is not having to fool with those darned capthas any more!!!

Guest Mr. Simons or bobby101

Mr. Brown: Thank you for your comments. Frankly, I can't imagine getting many more unwanted phone calls or emails than I currently do but you may be right. I'm a relative newcomer to RONR but have found it enormously helpful in giving me insight and practical and useful advice on how to proceed. And, I'm very grateful for that. I'm hopeful that Nancy and Marcia will read and respond to my posting. I can really use their input. Mr. Simons (bobby101). Thanks again.

Mr. Guest. Mr. Simons here. I think I've been replying as a member but if I'm not, I apologize. I'm still a newcomer to the RONR forum and probably have made some errors. Nonetheless, I'm grateful for the guidance that you and others have provided me and cleared up some of my misunderstandings. The RONR discussion forum has been a valuable resource and I am now a dedicated and loyal follower. Thank you for your help. bobby101

Mr. Guest. Mr. Simons here. I think I've been replying as a member but if I'm not, I apologize.

Bobby, in this thread, at least, you have been replying in all kinds of guest names, but not once as "member" bobby101 except for this one that I'm replying to.  Just sign in every time.  It is SO much easier than having to go through that captha thing as a guest.

If you click on "post" after drafting a comment and the system gives you a captha, that is telling you that you are posting as a guest and not logged in as a member.  Members don't have to go through the captha nonsense... as long as they are logged in as members.

Edited to add:  In fact, that just happened to me.  When I clicked on "post" to post the above comment, the system asked me do the captha thing.  That let me know that "oops... I'm not signed in".  So I signed in.

Am I able to contact both Marcia to discuss in more detail her situation and Kendo, her solution?

There is no way to contact a guest, and they often don't come back, so I doubt they'll contact you. I wouldn't wait up on them.

I have been trying for more than two years to address this and trying (unsuccessfully) to get a response from our board.

My goal is to avoid the only other option I see available to me (bringing a suit in court) which I sincerely want to avoid since I expect it will roil the club, something we really don't need.

Yeah, I think we can probably give you a few intermediate options between "talk to the board myself and try to get a voluntary response from them" and "file a lawsuit." :)

Perhaps you should start a new thread explaining all of the relevant facts and we'll take another stab at your situation.

Josh: To my posting immediately above. Can you tell me what you mean by, "starting a new thread"?

"Starting  a new thread" means starting a brand new topic, rather than continuing to ask new questions in an existing "thread" or topic.  We try to stick to one topic or issue at a time, rather than discussing several issues in one thread.

The topic of this conversation, or "thread" is "Officers not following Constitution or bylaws".  All posts should relate directly to that issue and the question raised by the OP (Original Poster).  Anything else should be discussed in a new topic or "thread".   If your question is even slightly different, it really should be in a new thread.

From the "General Discussion" home page, click on the black "Start New Topic" link on the far right side of the page.

Archived