The Official RONR Q & A Forums

According to RROO can a quorum vote on meeting minutes via e-mail? Thank you!

Guest Jill Carter

According to RROO can a quorum vote on meeting minutes via e-mail?  Thank you!

We need a bit more information.

What do you mean by "can a quorum vote. . ."?    Are you referring to a committee appointed for the purpose of approving the minutes?   Are you referring to the assembly itself approving the minutes by email?  In what context are you using the word "quorum"?

In general, RONR absolutely prohibits email voting and voting by mail unless authorized by your bylaws or by some other special rule.  However, if you created a committee for the purpose of approving the minutes, the assembly could provide by special rule or in the motion that created the committee that the committee could meet electronically.  As to whether email voting by the committee could be authorized, I'm not sure.   I'm looking for a specific provision, but haven't yet found it.   I'm confident someone else will weigh in on that point, though, if I'm overlooking it.   :)

In general, RONR absolutely prohibits email voting and voting by mail unless authorized by your bylaws or by some other special rule.  However, if you created a committee for the purpose of approving the minutes, the assembly could provide by special rule or in the motion that created the committee that the committee could meet electronically.  As to whether email voting by the committee could be authorized, I'm not sure.   I'm looking for a specific provision, but haven't yet found it.   I'm confident someone else will weigh in on that point, though, if I'm overlooking it.   :)

The assembly may not authorize e-mail voting for a committee. A committee which is not established in the bylaws may be authorized to hold electronic meetings, but e-mail isn't considered a meeting. Additionally, electronic meetings may be authorized for such committees by a standing rule or in the motion that created the committee. (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 98) A rule in the bylaws would be required to permit e-mail voting, even for a committee.

The report of a committee (and only a committee), however, may contain what is agreed to by every one of the committee's members, and that could be handled by e-mail. (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 503)

Archived