The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Temporary or "Acting" Position of Officers

Guest Jim

The president has resigned and the VP has become the president thus leaving VP vacant.  Now we have a meeting coming up and the new president is away on vacation.  Another officer was asked by the president to fill in at the meeting.  I don't believe that actually makes him "acting president".  Correct?  I think that simply makes him the "chair".  

Also, the organization has adopted a rule in the by laws that disallows the president from voting which goes against what is specifically called out in RONR right here in the FAQ's.  The by laws also have a clause that designates RONR as the standard by which the organization will be run.  Since that by law goes against RONR, how should it be handled?  Does it have to come before a meeting of members to be rescinded or can it just be ignored?

Thanks!

The Assembly (the organization) should elect a president pro-tem to preside at that meeting.  The "real" president can suggest someone, but he does not have the power to appoint anyone unless your bylaws specifically give him that power.  The Secretary should call the meeting to order and the first order of business should  be to elect a president pro-tem.

When there is a conflict between your bylaws and RONR or your own special rules of order, your bylaws control. 

I don't have my RONR in front of me at the moment, but I will post the citations in a few minutes unless someone else does it first.

Electing a chairman pro-tem (which is actually the correct term.... not president pro tem) ... is covered in RONR, 11th edition on page 463 at lines 3 - 16.   It can, and usually is, done by unanimous consent.  Either someone, probably the secretary or whoever calls the meeting to order, can say that "President Travelmaster is out of town tonight and has suggested that Mr. Heretonight serve as chairman pro-tem for this meeting.  Is there any objection to Mr.  Heretonight serving as chairman pro-tem for this meeting?"  After a brief pause, the secretary (or whoever called the meeting to order) says, "Hearing no objection, Mr. Heretonight is elected to serve as chairman pro-tem for this meeting".

If there is an objection or if members want to nominate someone else, then it is handled just like any other election.

The provisions in RONR re the bylaws being the controlling document in the event of a conflict with the rules of order are on pages 12 - 15.  On page 14, RONR says:  "Except for the corporate charter in an incorporated society, the bylaws . . . comprise the highest body of rules in societies as normally established today.  Such an instrument supersedes all other rules of the society. . . ."

Edited to add:  RONR provides on pages 453 and 459 that In the absence of the president and vice president, the secretary calls the meeting to order and presides until the election of a chairman pro tem.

Also, the election of someone as a chairman pro tem does NOT create an "acting president" position.  In other words, this person has no power other than presiding over the meeting in question.  Any other administrative duties of the president that go beyond that are NOT granted to a chairman pro tem.

Archived