The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Previous Board Members

Guest Susan Fitzgerald

Unless the organization has term limits in its By-laws, then any current director or officer can run for another term - either in the same position or another position.  So, yes a current Board member could be asked if he/she would be willing to run again. 

At the same time, nominations cannot be refused.  As such, anyone who is nominated for a position is on the ballot.  A member may refuse to accept election, so it is wise if you really want the current member to remain in office for another term it would be beneficial to ask in advance (thus eliminating the person refusing election if they do not want the position.)

Also, with anything, sometimes you will find people will get up and volunteer at the meeting.  I have personally met people who claim they would not run for a position on the Board if they have to run against a current Board member.  But once they know there is no one else running for a position, they may be willing to run.

At the same time, nominations cannot be refused.  As such, anyone who is nominated for a position is on the ballot.  A member may refuse to accept election,

Are you sure?  RONR is not crystal clear, but indicates to me when I read two sections together that "nominees" can indeed "withdraw" as well as refuse to accept the office if elected. 

On page 434 at lines 1 - 6, RONR says:  "It is desirable policy for the nominating  committee, before making its report, to contact each person whom it wishes to nominate, in order to obtain his acceptance of nomination -- that is, his assurance that he will serve in the specified office if elected.  The bylaws can make such a practice mandatory."  (emphasis added).

On page 435 at lines 4 - 8, RONR says:  "A nominating committee is automatically discharged when its report is formally presented to the assembly, although if one of the nominees withdraws before the election, the committee is revived and should meet immediately to agree upon another nomination if there is time".  (Emphasis added).

Those two sections, when taken together, indicate to me that a person can decline or refuse a nomination or at least withdraw from the race prior to the election if he is nominated.

Those two sections, when taken together, indicate to me that a person can decline or refuse a nomination or at least withdraw from the race prior to the election if he is nominated.

Both those sections refer to the nominating committee's responsibility if it has chosen someone who is unwilling to serve. But if I nominate John Doe (i.e. from the floor), it's my nomination (of Mr. Doe), not his. He can indicate his unwillingness to serve but he can't withdraw my nomination of him.

Both those sections refer to the nominating committee's responsibility if it has chosen someone who is unwilling to serve. But if I nominate John Doe (i.e. from the floor), it's my nomination (of Mr. Doe), not his. He can indicate his unwillingness to serve but he can't withdraw my nomination of him.

Okay, but if John Doe indicates his unwillingness to serve, couldn't you withdraw your nomination? And in the ordinary case, wouldn't that be the logical thing to do?

Okay, but if John Doe indicates his unwillingness to serve, couldn't you withdraw your nomination? And in the ordinary case, wouldn't that be the logical thing to do?

Perhaps John Doe is shy. Perhaps he has low self-esteem. Perhaps he's afraid of losing but I'm convinced he'd win and, if elected, would accept the position and be a terrific officer. The role of logic in the electoral process is sometimes minimal.

Archived