The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rogue Officer

Dennis Roberts

I have addressed the forum before about issues I'm having with a particular officer and my thoughts of trying to handle the issue peacefully have failed. Unfortunately our next Board Meeting is only scheduled for 1/2 of an hour before the regular meeting and I expect trouble from this person.

That being said, As I am President do I have the right to call a POO to ask members of the board for a motion to schedule a Special Board Meeting and table

the discussion that would be causing a commotion before the regular meeting.

I realize that in my position I should try to remain bipartisan but  the issue has festered in a way that it affects the performance of otherwise a wonderful board and a happy hardworking membership.  

That being said, As I am President do I have the right to call a POO to ask members of the board for a motion to schedule a Special Board Meeting and table the discussion that would be causing a commotion before the regular meeting.

The answer is "no" to at least two parts of this. A Point of Order does not seem to apply here. That is used to address a violation of the rules, not to schedule a meeting. Additionally, the motion to Lay on the Table is not appropriate in the circumstances you describe. See FAQ #12.

If this is a small board, however, it is in order for the chair to make motions. Whether the board can call a special meeting depends on the rules in your organization's bylaws. Alternately, the board could schedule an adjourned meeting, and you could move to Postpone this item of business to the adjourned meeting.

Thank you Josh. I would also like to ask if at which ever meeting I choose, is it proper for myself to present all information that I have been accumulating in a folder of violations and misdeeds that this person has committed, to the board?

Absolutely not. If you wish to deal with the "violations and misdeeds that this person has committed," the appropriate course of action is to follow the disciplinary procedures in your bylaws, or in Ch. XX of RONR if your bylaws are silent on this subject. It is highly inappropriate to simply make such accusations whenever you please.

Archived