The Official RONR Q & A Forums

board vacancy

Guest Justin

In my case, a board member died while in office.  He was barely alive at the time of the annual meeting and his term as president expired at that meeting and I (Lucky one) was elected.  Can the board appoint to fill that spot or do we have to wait for the next stockholders meeting.  If I am mistaken on posting here please forgive, as I am paddling as fast as I can to learn this.

"Bylaws Section 3. At least seven of the Directors shall be elected annually by the ballot of the Stockholders for the term of two years from the

date of their election, or until others are chosen in their stead."

In my case, a board member died while in office.  He was barely alive at the time of the annual meeting and his term as president expired at that meeting and I (Lucky one) was elected.  Can the board appoint to fill that spot or do we have to wait for the next stockholders meeting.  If I am mistaken on posting here please forgive, as I am paddling as fast as I can to learn this.

"Bylaws Section 3. At least seven of the Directors shall be elected annually by the ballot of the Stockholders for the term of two years from the

date of their election, or until others are chosen in their stead."

It would be better if you posted this as a new thread, but unless the bylaws or some higher rule gives them that power, the board does not have the authority to fill vacancies. The highlighted portion is pretty standard wording that most people would not take as giving them that power, but rather is referring to the Stockholders mentioned earlier in that sentence.

• 1 month later...

We have 2 open board positions that take effect Jan, 2015. Since the 2 candidates were announced and ballots sent out, one has put their

home on the market and intends to move. Our rules give the board the authority to fill open seats due to resignation, etc.

Is it still correct and/or proper to have the candidate who is moving elected or should another ballot or other vote be held later?

We have 2 open board positions that take effect Jan, 2015. Since the 2 candidates were announced and ballots sent out, one has put their

home on the market and intends to move. Our rules give the board the authority to fill open seats due to resignation, etc.

Is it still correct and/or proper to have the candidate who is moving elected or should another ballot or other vote be held later?

This forum works best if you ask a new question by starting a new topic.

Archived