The Official RONR Q & A Forums

contact with questioners who are guests

bobby101

Is there any approved way to make contact with guests to the RONR site? One of the guests posted a specific answer to a significant problem we're having at our club. I'd love to discuss it with her and am willing to forward contact information about myself if the guest is willing to talk with me. Thank you. bobby101

Is there any approved way to make contact with guests to the RONR site? 

No. Nor is there any unapproved way. I'm afraid you'll have to wait until the guest contacts you, either by becoming a member of by responding to the e-mail address you (unwisely?) posted. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Nor would I assume that what worked for one organization in one instance will work for your organization in your instance.

Finally, there's really no need to append "bobby101" to your posts. Come to think of it, you might increase your chances of being contacted if you change your Display Name to "Bob Simons" (which you can do by clicking on your Display Name and modifying your Profile).

Is there any approved way to make contact with guests to the RONR site? One of the guests posted a specific answer to a significant problem we're having at our club. I'd love to discuss it with her and am willing to forward contact information about myself if the guest is willing to talk with me. Thank you. bobby101

There is no way to make contact with guests, approved or otherwise. Guests are anonymous.

Short of posting your contact info in a message on the forum (which I would not recommend) you probably would need to post a message on the forum asking the guest to become a member, go to your profile, and send you a message (though the guest would need to check the messages on the forum for that to work and I am not sure the moderators would be too keen with that approach being used too often). 

That was one of the (very few) advantages our previous forum had over this one in that someone would just need to give themselves a screen name and enter an email address and post away.  If someone wanted to converse off-list they could contact them via email (assuming the address was valid-which it probably wasn't except for the regular posters who plan on sticking around).

There is no way to make contact with guests, approved or otherwise. Guests are anonymous.

And guests cannot use the private message feature that is available to members. 

I agree with the others and suggest that you always post as a member.  Then, if you want to follow up personally with a guest about something the guest posted, you can post a comment asking the guest to become a member and to contact you using the message feature.  It's up to the guest whether to do that.... if the guest even sees your comment.  I think your chances of getting a response are much improved if you consistently post as a member using the same name.   I agree with Mr. Guest's statement that it is more professional and might improve your chances if you change your forum name (or display name) to Bob Simons.

I would hesitate to post an email address (and especially a phone number) on here too, if only because search engines such as Google scan this forum and the posts get spattered all over the internet.  That's up to you, though.   You can also add your email address to your profile, but keep in mind that only members can view member profiles.

Archived