The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elected without majority vote

Hieu H. Huynh

While I can certainly imagine instances where proxy voting would be a reasonable solution, I'm less certain about admitting 1500 guests. Restrict proxy holding to members and restrict attendance to members and you might be able to hold the meeting in your backyard.

While Mr. Huyna has not mentioned the name of the groups, he has provided enough details that I am extrermely confident that I know what group it is (to which I also belong). I have attended several international conventions in the past, before electronic voting was used (we had paper ballots, worth different numbers of votes depending upon how the proxy-holder divided them. When I attended, most (but not all) clubs instructed the proxy-holder how to vote on bylaws amendments, but usually not how to vote on officer candidates. Proxy holing already is limited to members, and most of the non-voting attendees are also members of the organization (just not voting members of the assembly). Any attempt to restrict attendance to voting members only would, in my opinion, be met with massive resistance. Ain't gonna happen!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived