The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Officers Meeting.

Guest Marie

I would like to call an Officers Meeting. I can not find any information/direction in our existing Bylaws on how to do this. I would like to make sure that I do this properly and bylaws note that if something is not mentioned in them that it would default to Roberts Rules. I am looking to call the meeting to discuss the some internal issues/frustrations with other officers. This is not a meeting that we would be holding business or voting on issues. Please advise. Thanks!

I would like to call an Officers Meeting. I can not find any information/direction in our existing Bylaws on how to do this. I would like to make sure that I do this properly and bylaws note that if something is not mentioned in them that it would default to Roberts Rules. I am looking to call the meeting to discuss the some internal issues/frustrations with other officers. This is not a meeting that we would be holding business or voting on issues. 

Well, then it shouldn't surprise you that it's not covered in RONR, since it does not resemble anything that RONR would call a "meeting".  The only thing you would have to watch out for is some bylaws provision that might prohibit such an off-line meeting of the officers.  If there's no rule against it, you can go ahead and get together.  

But as you note, you can't do business or vote on issues (or on anything else official).

I am looking to call the meeting to discuss the some internal issues/frustrations with other officers.

This is not a meeting that we would be holding business or voting on issues.

Marie,

You might be thinking of your state's "sunshine" law, which (maybe?) prohibits a subset of board members meeting to discuss business outside of a properly-called meeting.

There is no sunshine rule in Robert's Rules of Order.

It violates no parliamentary rule to . . .

cavil, cabal, carp, or complain,

. . .outside of a quorate meeting.

You are free to converse about business and agendas and nominations/elections freely at:

• cocktail parties

• yachting/boating excursions

• BBQ/Chili Cook-Offs

• post-theater late-night suppers

. . . without violating a rule of Robert's Rules of Order.

I assume you have no rule to the contrary.

Archived