The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Recorded Minutes

Guest Phyllis Martin

Minutes reflect only what was done, not was said.  If an action item was not taken up, then nothing was done with it.  However, a member should have raised a point of order at the time to take up the matter as per the agenda ("Call for the Orders of the Day")--apparently that was not done.

What exactly is an "action item"?

Without knowing more, it's hard to answer.  We don't even know if it was an adopted agenda or just a guide for the chair.

Based on what little I do know, I don't believe it is necessary to "record" anything about it in the minutes as nothing was done.

However, I see nothing wrong with a notation to the effect that, "The item on the agenda re plans for the Halloween Party was not taken up."

I don't believe it is necessary to "record" anything about it in the minutes as nothing was done.

I agree. My point was simply that an "action item", whatever it may be, would not seem to be the sort of thing that Mr. Fish described as "an item on the agenda for which there is nothing to be done".

If an action item on the agenda had no motion, how do you record it in the minutes?

Do you record the action item was dismissed?

Do you record the item died?

I do not think it died since there was no motion. 

Do you mean this item was entertained as a report only? -- or never reached? -- or when the chair called for the item, no one acted as its presenter to champion its cause?

Q. What DID happen, when the chair announced that this item on the agenda had been reached?

If there was dead silence, and no one thought enough to even pay attention to it, then the answer is easy.

The minutes are not to include un-presented business.

So don't include it.

Archived