The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee Appointments

Guest Rita

This is our Program Committee. The President selects the individuals and then does a motion to nominate them. This committee takes care of our yearbooks and any publicity. In this case I asked of each of them wanted to remain and they were more than happy to.

So waht do I do?

Thanks

This is our Program Committee. The President selects the individuals and then does a motion to nominate them. This committee takes care of our yearbooks and any publicity. In this case I asked of each of them wanted to remain and they were more than happy to.

So do I nominate via a motion or?

Thanks

It sounds like the president is supposed to nominate individuals for the committee. If that is the case, then the president should name the nominees and then ask if there are other nominations ask if these should be elected. Any member can move to strike out any of the names on the list. If there are none, then they can be elected by acclamation.

It sounds like the president is supposed to nominate individuals for the committee. If that is the case, then the president should name the nominees and then ask if there are other nominations. If there are none, then they can be elected by acclamation.

If it's the process described on pp. 494-495 ( c ), that's not correct.

It may not be necessary for a motion to re-appoint these commmittee members.  Do you have a rule somewhere that specifies a term of office for these committee  members? In the absence of such a rule, if this is a special committee created to perform a specific task, and that task is not yet completed, the members would remain on the committee until the task is completed and the committee is dissolved, or until a member or members resign or are removed by the appointing authority.

However, from your description it sounds like this might be a standing committee which is always in existence even though its members may change. In that case, committee members are considered to serve a term corresponding to that of the organization's officers (RONR, 11th ed. p. 489, l.32 - p.490, l.5).

If none of these situations applies to your committee, there's no reason to have to formally re-appoint the committee members.

Archived