The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Annual General Meeting Minutes

post54

Are the rules for writing condo board AGM minutes the same as those for regular board meeting minutes? Specifically I am wondering if owners names need be included in AGM minutes or are their unit #s sufficient. Due do privacy laws names are not included in regular board minutes.

The rules in RONR for minutes are the same regardless of what assembly is meeting. There are several circumstances where a member's name is recorded. For instance, the member made a motion, or if the member's name is mentioned in a motion.

Are the rules for writing condo board AGM minutes the same as those for regular board meeting minutes? Specifically I am wondering if owners names need be included in AGM minutes or are their unit #s sufficient. Due do privacy laws names are not included in regular board minutes.

Is this horse not dead yet?

The requirements for what appears in minutes are set out in RONR.  They are quite clear, and apply to AGMs, boards, and other assemblies equally.  As Mr. Martin noted, names would be required in the minutes if a member made a motion, or if a member's name was included in the language of the motion.

No, you can't leave them out.   Ask this question a hundred more times, and the answer will be the same.

If you think (correctly or not) that some law prevents you from putting names in the minutes of your HOA, talk to a lawyer. I can tell you that my money would be on the negative side of that question.

indulge a moment more, post 54.  When you say, "condo board AGM minutes," whose minutes exactly are you talking about?

The title of this thread suggests it's the annual meeting of the general membership of the association. I suspect the confusing phrase "condo board AGM" is the inadvertent result of the board's dominance, even when it's not the board that's meeting.

Echoing Mr Novosielski, and nodding at what Dr Stackpole wrote (because he did it at 4 AM, the indefatigable valiant) ...  indulge a moment more, post 54.  When you say, "condo board AGM minutes," whose minutes exactly are you talking about?

To be correct I should have written the AGM of the condominium corporation not the condo board AGM.

The rules in RONR for minutes are the same regardless of what assembly is meeting. There are several circumstances where a member's name is recorded. For instance, the member made a motion, or if the member's name is mentioned in a motion.

Thank you Josh. Your example of 'a motion' cleared things up for me. In the AGM minutes the names and unit #s have been included in the AGM minutes for those people who made a motion.

The title of this thread suggests it's the annual meeting of the general membership of the association. I suspect the confusing phrase "condo board AGM" is the inadvertent result of the board's dominance, even when it's not the board that's meeting.

And that fact, that the head table of an AGM for a condo normally has the entire Board at it, and that the Board ends up fielding questions which can create the illusion that the Board runs the meeting, which it does not.

And that fact, that the head table of an AGM for a condo normally has the entire Board at it, and that the Board ends up fielding questions which can create the illusion that the Board runs the meeting, which it does not.

But the President of the condo board chairs the AGM so who then would you say runs the meeting if not the condo board who makes the decisions regarding the condo corporation.

But the President of the condo board chairs the AGM so who then would you say runs the meeting if not the condo board who makes the decisions regarding the condo corporation.

I'd say the general membership. Since it's a meeting of the general membership (or, in the case of a corporation, the shareholders). The board can only function as a board at a board meeting*. Which this ain't.

*Edited to add: Since this is a corporation, RONR's default rules may not always apply.

I'd say the general membership. Since it's a meeting of the general membership (or, in the case of a corporation, the shareholders). The board can only function as a board at a board meeting*. Which this ain't.

*Edited to add: Since this is a corporation, RONR's default rules may not always apply.

Yes indeed.

Archived