The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Recused Board member asked to leave executive session

fireman4

I am a Board member for our HOA. I received a variance from a previous Board but recently became involved in a dispute with our management company over the approved variance for my property. I requested mediation per our bylaws and also requested for representation. My request for representation was heard in executive session as per our bylaws. After giving my testimony in executive session I recused myself from further discussion and the vote. However many board members demanded that I leave the room during their debate and vote. I know in a regular session a recused Board member does not have to leave the room. What would be the proper etiquette in executive session?  Does a Board member with a conflict have to leave during the Board debate and vote in executive session?

In RONR, all members have the right to attend meetings, including meetings held in executive session. See FAQ #9 regarding a conflict of interest. RONR does not require members to leave the room during the debate and vote (unless it is in regards to a trial for disciplinary action). Any such requirement would have to be found in your rules.

• 5 years later...
Guest Nancy in Arizona

I am not sure anyone will receive or be able to answer this question . . . . 

I am an HOA board member.  I was asked not to come to the first 10 minutes of the executive session, as the president said they were going to be discussing a unit that I am "associated with".  I didn't read anything that said this was remotely fair or that she was able to do this.  I turned up. I was told to get out. I asked what unit number was to be discussed (I own one home and have my name on the title of 2 more). I was told by the president that she didn't have to tell me and refused to do so.  There was a lot of yelling and swearing on the part of the HOA president.  I stood my ground .  Nothing was discussed.  The president then said she would seek legal council.  I wanted to stay and listen to the content of the discussion and if there was a conflict, I would have stayed silent, but I wasn't even given the chance to understand what the secret 10 minutes was about. Was I in the right or the wrong?

26 minutes ago, Guest Nancy in Arizona said:

I am not sure anyone will receive or be able to answer this question . . . . 

I am an HOA board member.  I was asked not to come to the first 10 minutes of the executive session, as the president said they were going to be discussing a unit that I am "associated with".  I didn't read anything that said this was remotely fair or that she was able to do this.  I turned up. I was told to get out. I asked what unit number was to be discussed (I own one home and have my name on the title of 2 more). I was told by the president that she didn't have to tell me and refused to do so.  There was a lot of yelling and swearing on the part of the HOA president.  I stood my ground .  Nothing was discussed.  The president then said she would seek legal council.  I wanted to stay and listen to the content of the discussion and if there was a conflict, I would have stayed silent, but I wasn't even given the chance to understand what the secret 10 minutes was about. Was I in the right or the wrong?

Guest Nancy, please post your question as a new topic, per the instructions in the first pinned post by the forum administrator, Shmuel Gerber.   Here is a link to it:  https://robertsrules.forumflash.com/topic/25416-important-read-this-first-faq-and-information-for-new-members-and-guests/

Edited by Richard Brown
Added link

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.