The Official RONR Q & A Forums

who has authority

Guest dan Y

My question is this. We are a small private club consisting of these officers; pres., vice pres., rec. secretary, financial secretary, treasurer, three trustees and doorman. Nothing really specific is written in the bylaws as to who has the overriding authority. In the past we have always tried to work collaboratively as officers to do the best for the membership. However recently we have some officers who seem to be power happy and are making decisions that require the approval of the membership, on their own. The basic question here is; Can the President do anything to prevent trustee's from making these (illegal decisions) ? 

Well, ultimately the membership has the final say as to who is authorized to do what.  That "say" may be spelled out in the bylaws (which the membership adopted in the probably dim past) or in various motions, usually called "Standing Rules", that hang around until changed.  So look to those documents for guidance. 

Do you have an Executive Committee defined in the bylaws?  If so, what are its powers and responsibilities, as in the bylaws?  The presumption is that powers given to the ExecComm cannot be exercised by individual officers.

My question is this. We are a small private club consisting of these officers; pres., vice pres., rec. secretary, financial secretary, treasurer, three trustees and doorman.

Does your board (of trustees) consist only of the three trustees or are some (or all) of the other officers also members of the board?

In any event, as Mr. Stackpole suggested, the ultimate authority rests with the general membership. The board and the officers have only the authority given them in the bylaws (or by other rules adopted by the general membership).

not sure how to repost on this forum . . . 

You did good. Thanks for the follow-up.

I would suggest that your "governing board" is a Board of Trustees. Three of the members are "only" trustees. The other members are ex-officio members. That is, they're members of the board by virtue of the other offices they hold. So they're trustees too (i.e. all members of the board of trustees are trustees).

Then again, your bylaws may describe things differently.

Archived