The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Add new board members in between election years

Guest OPS Sec.

I'm trying to locate information in robert's rules regarding the ability to increase our board by 1-2 people even though our board just completed an election year.  The next election would not be until 2018.   Can anyone point me in the direction of where to find this information?

Thank you in advance.

I'm trying to locate information in robert's rules regarding the ability to increase our board by 1-2 people even though our board just completed an election year.  

You'll probably need to amend ("change") your bylaws if you want to change the size of your board. So check your bylaws to see what you have to do to amend them (it's probably near the end).

I'm trying to locate information in robert's rules regarding the ability to increase our board by 1-2 people even though our board just completed an election year.  The next election would not be until 2018.   Can anyone point me in the direction of where to find this information?

Thank you in advance.

This would normally be in your bylaws, as RONR does not contain details of the composition of your board.

What is meant by "increase our board by 1-2 people"? If this means creating addition positions on the board, that could be done by amending the bylaws (see RONR 11th ed., pp. 592-599). If it means adding new board members by filling vacancies, that could be done by following the vacancy filling provisions in your bylaws (see p. 575).

What is meant by "increase our board by 1-2 people"? If this means creating addition positions on the board, that could be done by amending the bylaws (see RONR 11th ed., pp. 592-599). If it means adding new board members by filling vacancies, that could be done by following the vacancy filling provisions in your bylaws (see p. 575).

Really?

If that's the case I'll eat my hat.

Made sense to me.

Thank you for your responses.

We currently have 11, we are thinking to increase to 12 or 13 and would not want to wait until 2018 election year to do so.  I'm also not sure if it's required to maintain and odd number of people.  I will consult w/ our other long standing members about the existing bylaws.  I'm newly appointed to the organization and am just now getting started with parliamentary procedures.

Cheers.

I'm also not sure if it's required to maintain and odd number of people.

There's a popular misconception that having an odd number of members will avoid tie votes.

Firstly, there's nothing wrong with a tie vote. It simply means that the motion was defeated.

Secondly, a member could be absent or, if present, abstain from voting. So you'd then have an even number of members voting.

In any event, there's no need to wait until 2018.

The organization is free to change the bylaws to increase the number of board members prior to 2018.

Of course.  My response was based on some bylaw provisions we've seen here where the bylaws contain some flexible number already and no bylaw change may be needed.  (i.e. they could have a window of between 10 and 15 members now in the bylaws, but they chose 11 for this term.) 

It could be too that the membership decided when they held the election that they will have 11 members until  2018. If so, then 11 it shall be.  No?

Of course.  My response was based on some bylaw provisions we've seen here where the bylaws contain some flexible number already and no bylaw change may be needed.  (i.e. they could have a window of between 10 and 15 members now in the bylaws, but they chose 11 for this term.) 

I agree.  I think we don't yet have enough information to know exactly what the situation here is in that regard.

Archived