The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Binding Votes

Edian

Our organization, non-profit, is run by a Board of Trustees.  Members of our organization have called for a special meeting.  At this meeting, a motion may come to the floor that the BOT temporarily suspend work that they are doing.  Our By-Laws do not address whether or not the BOT is bound to follow the vote of the organization.  Does Robert's Rules have an answer to this situation?

RONR does not answer your question directly - you will need to look at your bylaws for the answer. Unless the bylaws grant the board exclusive rights to manage the affairs of the society, the membership may: a) give the board instructions which the board is obligated to carry out, and B) rescind or amend an action taken by the board. In some cases, bylaws may give the board exclusive authority for certain aspects of the society's business, but not for all aspects. In that case, and if you are referring to a specific topic that the board is working on, you will need to determine whether or not your bylaws give the board exclusive control over that topic.

See RONR, 11th ed. p. 482, l. 25 - p. 483, l. 16 for a description of the relationship between the society and its board.

RONR does not answer your question directly - you will need to look at your bylaws for the answer. Unless the bylaws grant the board exclusive rights to manage the affairs of the society, the membership may: a) give the board instructions which the board is obligated to carry out, and B) rescind or amend an action taken by the board. In some cases, bylaws may give the board exclusive authority for certain aspects of the society's business, but not for all aspects. In that case, and if you are referring to a specific topic that the board is working on, you will need to determine whether or not your bylaws give the board exclusive control over that topic.

See RONR, 11th ed. p. 482, l. 25 - p. 483, l. 16 for a description of the relationship between the society and its board.

And whatever you do, Edian,  please take Mr. Lages seriously even though it appears he's winking.  Emoticons make typing b ) more complicated than it needs to be.  :)

And whatever you do, Edian,  please take Mr. Lages seriously even though it appears he's winking.  Emoticons make typing b ) more complicated than it needs to be.  :)

Tell me about it!!!  I'm continually distressed by typing something with b or with a close parenthesis ) and then seeing the emoticon show up instead when I post my comment.   Then I have to go back and figure out how to get rid of the emoticon and make it read the way I want it to.

Archived