The Official RONR Q & A Forums
NancyB

Electing Officers to a Condominium Board

At our recent annual AGM we elected 5 members to the Condominium Board. Today we hold our first meeting. I assumed the first order of business would be to elect from among the members the President, Vice-President and Secretary. A continuing member, however, insists that she should chair the meeting and that the elections should take place after all other agenda items have been acted on, w/, obviously, no provision for a secretary to take notes. This seems highly irregular to me. Is it?

Well, the election of officers can actually take place at any point in the meeting, but I believe most organizations would make it one of the first items of business.  This is assuming, of course, that it is the board, and not the membership, that elects the officers.  By the way, it is the board itself, not the presiding officer, that decides on the agenda, although the chair may propose an agenda.

Much of what should happen at this meeting is probably provided for in your bylaws in one way or another.  For example, do the outgoing officers continue to serve until their successors are elected?  If so, you still had a president and a secretary.  Do the bylaws specify the date or meeting at which the new officers are elected and the date they take office?

Who and what is this "continuing member" who chaired the meeting?  Was she the outgoing president?    Depending on the wording in your bylaws, it would most likely be proper for the outgoing president to chair the meeting if his or her successor has not yet been elected.  But, if neither the outgoing president or vice president was there, then the first order of business should have been for the board to elect a president pro-tem to preside until such time as a new president is elected.

As to the issue of the secretary, again, if officers continue to serve until their successors are elected, then the outgoing secretary is still the secretary and should have served as such at that meeting.  If for some reason he or she was not present, then the second order of business should have been for the board to elect a secretary pro-tem to serve for that meeting (or at least until the permanent secretary is elected).

By the way, what do your bylaws say about when the new officers assume office?  Is it immediately upon election?  At the close of the annual meeting?  At some other time?

I truly believe that your bylaws will provide more answers than you realize.

At our recent annual AGM we elected 5 members to the Condominium Board. Today we hold our first meeting. I assumed the first order of business would be to elect from among the members the President, Vice-President and Secretary. A continuing member, however, insists that she should chair the meeting and that the elections should take place after all other agenda items have been acted on, w/, obviously, no provision for a secretary to take notes. This seems highly irregular to me. Is it?

RONR says that elections should take place early in a meeting.  Just follow that advice.  As noted the board adopts an agenda, if necessary.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.