The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Order of Business - election for Board vacancy

Guest Carl Davis

Question of where in Order of Business is election to fill Board vacancy in April quarterly meeting.  

The OOB for January has sequence (after call to order and other events):

7. Election of New Members

8. Election of Directors

9. Election of Presiding Officer

10. Unfinished Business

11.New Business

The OOB for April, July and October quarterly meetings has sequence:

8. Statement of the Board of Directors

9. Statement of the Treasurer

10. Unfinished Business

11. New Business

I think the election in April to fill a vacancy would go after the Election of New Members and before the Statement, but perhaps filling a vacancy is in New Business.

Thanks.

I agree with Hieu.  New business seems like the logical place to take it up, too, based on the order of business you provided.  However, I think it could perhaps also be taken up at the end of the Statement of the Board of Directors if the report includes the fact that there is a vacancy which needs to be filled.  I'm assuming the "Statement of the Board of Directors" is in the nature of a report of the Board's activities and that the report includes the fact that a vacancy has been created.

Hieu is correct, though, that by a two-thirds vote to suspend the rules or to change the order of business it could be taken up at any time during the meeting.

Question of where in Order of Business is election to fill Board vacancy in April quarterly meeting.  

The OOB for January has sequence (after call to order and other events):

8. Election of Directors

9. Election of Presiding Officer

10. Unfinished Business

11.New Business

The OOB for April, July and October quarterly meetings has sequence:

8. Statement of the Board of Directors

9. Statement of the Treasurer

10. Unfinished Business

11. New Business

I think the election in April to fill a vacancy would go after the Election of New Members and before the Statement, but perhaps filling a vacancy is in New Business.

Thanks.

What are items 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 on the agenda?

Re DanielE Hayes:  items 1 - 6 are introductory events - item 6 is reading of minutes, so I just listed a portion of the OOB.

Your response to Daniel prompts me to ask a couple of questions:

1.  Do  items 1 - 6 by any chance include such things as the President's report and officers reports?

2.  By whom, when and and how was the announcement that there was a resignation and/or a vacancy to fill announced?

3.  If the announcement was made at a previous meeting, was it mentioned by any of the officers in this meeting in a report? 

I bring this up as a follow up to my comments in post # 2 because RONR says that motions growing out of reports and communications are appropriate at the conclusion of the report.  So, if the president or the secretary or the board, for example, reported on the vacancy, that would also be an appropriate time to take action on it, unless the report was made at the previous meeting just for the purpose of giving notice that the vacancy would be filled at this new meeting.

Thanks to Daniel for asking what items 1 - 6 consist of.  The fact that you had omitted items 1 - 6 had not really registered with me as perhaps being relevant. 

Archived