The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Length of speech by non-member to a pending motion.

George Mervosh

Instead of tacking this on to another thread like I originally did I'll ask this here:

If the board grants non-member A the right to speak to a pending motion by the required 2/3 vote, but has set no time limit on how long he may speak, is the length still at the discretion of the assembly, or have they granted him the same length they are entitled to?  In other words, can they cut him off mid-speech?

You must be attending some fun meetings lately.

Hardly.  Our #1 goal is to avoid that kind of fun in real life meetings.

However, my take on this is the 2/3 vote simply permits him to speak at all to the pending question, and the duration is indeed at the sufferance of the assembly.

I'd like to say the assembly could move to reconsider the "permission", but that might entail interrupting the speaker which would probably not be proper.

I'm not so sure. So far as I can tell, no rule in RONR prohibits interrupting a non-member.

Hardly.  Our #1 goal is to avoid that kind of fun in real life meetings.

However, my take on this is the 2/3 vote simply permits him to speak at all to the pending question, and the duration is indeed at the sufferance of the assembly.

I think this is correct. While it may be rude to interrupt the non-member, I do not think it would violate any rule in RONR, and therefore, the assembly may step in to cut him off if and when it wishes to do so. It would, of course, be preferable to specify the length of time the non-member may speak when granting permission to do so, in order to avoid such awkward situations.

I think this is correct. While it may be rude to interrupt the non-member, I do not think it would violate any rule in RONR, and therefore, the assembly may step in to cut him off if and when it wishes to do so. It would, of course, be preferable to specify the length of time the non-member may speak when granting permission to do so, in order to avoid such awkward situations.

Yeah, I'm reminded of how General Robert viewed such things in PL, beginning about two-thirds of the way down page 139 and continuing on to about two-thirds of the way down the next page.

Archived