The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Changing approved minutes

Guest William Rademacher

Guest William Rademacher

After losing a vote to change a document, I requested of the Chair to append two documents of explanations to the minutes.  The Chair indicated that they could be appended.  I did not make a motion, hence there was no second, discussion or vote.  Subsequently the minutes were approved indicating my request to append the documents.  After noticing that the appended documents were not available for access, I maded this known to the Executive Director who then submitted to the Board an electronic ballot to vote to include the documents of explanations. 

Since my request was just that and not a motion, at the next Board meeting would it be best to make a motion to "amend something previously adopted" or to move to "rescind and expunge from the minutes"?

There seem to be a number of things wrong here, which sort of compound one another.

First:  I suspect you, your association, your association secretary in particular, is putting far too much in the minutes - they should contain ONLY what was done (the text of motions adopted, defeated, postponed, &c.), not "discussion" nor "documents of explanation".  See p. 468ff.   If  the motions are transcribed correctly, there is little to be concerned about in the minutes.  So your documents shouldn't have been "requested" for inclusion in the first place.  And the chair had no business acceding to your request, however inadequately.  The association, by majority vote, can decide what "extra" stuff belongs in minutes, not any individual.

Secondly:  Unless your bylaws (or state law) authorizes "electronic voting", it is totally improper.  And the results of any such have no  standing.  It is entirely appropriate to ignore them.

Third:  Since, you say, nothing was adopted at the previous meeting, there is nothing to be rescinded or amended.

Sorry to be so negative, but that's the way it goes.  For more help, take a look at RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief", Updated Second Edition (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group, 2011). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will really need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.50! You can read it in an evening. Get both RONRIB and RONR (scroll down) at this link. Or in your local bookstore.

Guest William Rademacher

There seem to be a number of things wrong here, which sort of compound one another.

First:  I suspect you, your association, your association secretary in particular, is putting far too much in the minutes - they should contain ONLY what was done (the text of motions adopted, defeated, postponed, &c.), not "discussion" nor "documents of explanation".  See p. 468ff.   If  the motions are transcribed correctly, there is little to be concerned about in the minutes.  So your documents shouldn't have been "requested" for inclusion in the first place.  And the chair had no business acceding to your request, however inadequately.  The association, by majority vote, can decide what "extra" stuff belongs in minutes, not any individual.

Secondly:  Unless your bylaws (or state law) authorizes "electronic voting", it is totally improper.  And the results of any such have no  standing.  It is entirely appropriate to ignore them.

Third:  Since, you say, nothing was adopted at the previous meeting, there is nothing to be rescinded or amended.

Sorry to be so negative, but that's the way it goes.  For more help, take a look at RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief", Updated Second Edition (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group, 2011). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will really need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.50! You can read it in an evening. Get both RONRIB and RONR (scroll down) at this link. Or in your local bookstore.

JD, thank you for your help.  I do appreciate it very much as you have provided excellent instruction for me.  Wm. Rademacher

Archived