The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Treasurer Question

Rickster55

When giving our monthly treasurer's report, the treasurer groups expenses into categories.  A motion was made, seconded and carried by the membership to include in the Treasurer's report a breakdown to include who the check was made out to, the amount of the check and the reason for the payment.  The Treasurer refuses to abide by this motion.  The President also refuses to mandate that she follow the carried motion.  What are the membership's options on how to correct this?

While it seems very likely that the Treasurer should comply with this approved motion, as well as it seeming reasonable, nonetheless it is possible that the Treasurer may be justified. Has the Treasurer (and the President who seems to back the Treasurer) given any reason(s) or justification for refusal to comply? I am the Treasurer of an organization, and there may be membership or Board motions passed where I would refuse to comply because the required actions conflicted with applicable law or regulation, were not within the powers of the entity (membership or board) or some other reason(s).

If the Treasurer does have legitimate (or what seem to be legitimate) reasons for non-compliance, then it seems to me there probably are alternatives to accomplishing the desired objective.

It would not be proper for the Treasurer to refuse because he/she is stealing/embezzling.

Archived