The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaw correction in minutes

Andy Travis

If it is just discovered that one part of the bylaws incorrectly references another bylaw number, can this be noted in board minutes or do you have to wait until the next amendment to the bylaws?

Your group will need to amend the bylaws to amend the improper reference, if that's your question.

RONR (11th ed.), p. 598, l. 35 to p. 599, ll. 1-5:  "Correction of article or section numbers or cross-references that cannot result in a change of meaning can be delegated, however, to the secretary or, in more involved cases, to a committee.  An assembly may delegate its authority in this connection in a particular case, by adopting, for example, a resolution such as the following...."  I'd say that, without objection, your secretary could make the correction.

RONR (11th ed.), p. 598, l. 35 to p. 599, ll. 1-5:  "Correction of article or section numbers or cross-references that cannot result in a change of meaning can be delegated, however, to the secretary or, in more involved cases, to a committee.  An assembly may delegate its authority in this connection in a particular case, by adopting, for example, a resolution such as the following...."  I'd say that, without objection, your secretary could make the correction.

Is that reference applicable only to corrections made within captions, headings, and article/section numbers themselves?  (I remember a thread about this not too long ago...)  The OP mentions one part of the bylaws referencing another part, so it's likely within the text/body, not a header.

It is. Thank you for that.  And the last post there is the following from Mr. Honemann:

I agree that this section is not quite as clear as it might be, but it seems very clear to me that it does not say that the assembly may authorize the secretary, or a committee, to correct errors in punctuation, spelling and typographical errors throughout the body of bylaws it has just adopted.

And thus my question. Can the secretary or a committee be authorized to do it, or would the bylaws need to be amended via their normal amendment process?

I respectfully disagree.  This isn't necessarily some re-numbering exercise.  A bylaw specifically referencing another section of the bylaws (even the wrong one) may very well change the meaning of what was adopted.   In my view a bylaw amendment needs adopted to correct the mistake.

I *think* you disagree with post #3, but I *know* I agree with post #7.

Is that reference applicable only to corrections made within captions, headings, and article/section numbers themselves?  (I remember a thread about this not too long ago...)  The OP mentions one part of the bylaws referencing another part, so it's likely within the text/body, not a header.

One could, I think, imagine a situation where the bad reference in the text was the result of a failure to properly number other articles in the document.

Archived