The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Notice of Motion and "Change of Heart"

Guest Guy Savard

I have made a Notice of Motion to change the quorum of our 300 member service club from 14 to 30.  However, following your advise and after serious consideration,  I have made a "change of heart".   I believe that a quorum of 25 would be more practical and justified based on the average attendance of our meetings (31) that I have calculated for the past five (5) years. 

Since a Notice of Motion is not "seconded" nor approved,  how do I get about changing the proposed quorum?  Do I have to first make the motion, have it seconded and voted on?  Thank you for your valuable and most appreciated advise.  Guy

Since "25" falls within the "scope of the notice" (of the proposed motion) you can make the motion as proposed, then, during debate, move to amend it (by striking "30" and inserting "25").

It would not, on the other hand, be in order to make a motion to amend the proposed motion by striking "30" and inserting "31" (or "13") since that would fall outside the scope of the notice.

Hi Edgar.   Just a clarification from someone who is still "ever green" re.  RRO.   What does "Since "25" falls within the "scope of the notice" mean?  I assume that I know but would like to make sure as we all know what "Ass-u-me" can do !!!   Thanks

Since the notice to members was that an amendment to change 14 to 30 would be offered, that's the scope of the notice.  People who received the notice could be secure in the knowledge that no number less than the current amount, nor more than 30 would result from that meeting, and if that was okay with them, they might decide not to attend.

But they might object if the quorum was raised to a number above 30, since they relied on the notice that it would be 30.

Therefore, a motion to strike 30 and insert 25 in the proposed amendment, or simplly to move 25 in the first place, would be within the scope of the notice, and would not require additional notice.   The assumption is that someone who received the notice but did not choose to attend would be okay with any outcome from the current value up to the value in the notice, so the rights of absentees are protected as long as the end result stays within that scope.

Hi Edgar and Gary.  I followed your advise thought I am a bit confused as to whether the final outcome was done properly 

• I made the main motion as proposed in the Notice of Motion  -  to change the quorum from 14 to 30. 
  • It was seconded and the debate started.
  • I then moved to amend the motion to read 22 in lieu of 30  (I decided on 22 vs 25 as it is still within the "Scope of Notice"
  • The amendment (to read 22) was denied.

The members then debated as to whether the main motion (amend from 14 to 30) should be discussed and voted on.  There were some very conflicting views and finally a vote was made as to whether the main motion (30) should be the approved.  Of course, it was denied and expectantly so since a minor increase from 14 to 22 had been denied.  Nonetheless, the debate continued after the conclusion of the  meeting and there were again some disagreement. 

Was it handled properly?   Thanks for your valuable advise 

Guy

Hi Edgar and Gary.  I followed your advise thought I am a bit confused as to whether the final outcome was done properly 

• I made the main motion as proposed in the Notice of Motion  -  to change the quorum from 14 to 30. 
  • It was seconded and the debate started.
  • I then moved to amend the motion to read 22 in lieu of 30  (I decided on 22 vs 25 as it is still within the "Scope of Notice"
  • The amendment (to read 22) was denied.

The members then debated as to whether the main motion (amend from 14 to 30) should be discussed and voted on.  There were some very conflicting views and finally a vote was made as to whether the main motion (30) should be the approved.  Of course, it was denied and expectantly so since a minor increase from 14 to 22 had been denied.  Nonetheless, the debate continued after the conclusion of the  meeting and there were again some disagreement. 

Was it handled properly?   Thanks for your valuable advise 

Guy

If the amendment (to strike 30 and insert 22) was not agreed to, the question was then on the original motion, (to change from 14 to 30).  There was no need to discuss whether it should be discussed, since that process was already underway.  

In any case, your quorum is still 14.   

Archived