The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President's refusal to deal with business

anonneedsadvice

Our President has taken a "my way or the highway" attitude and our even numbered Board has come to a tie vote on matters with no resolution.  Now the President is refusing to answer emails or questions.

The VP has taken the idea that we just have to wait for the President to come around and have a meeting.  Our bylaws suck and don't stipulate timed meetings (don't even go there, I've already been here saying how much they suck).  In quotes below is the entirety of what our bylaws say about meetings.

"The meetings of this Club shall be held on a date set aside by the members in attendance at the prior meeting at a location decided upon by the Officers/Board per each meeting primarily at XX location but this may vary for convenience sake such as local shows and other events.  In addition, this may be changed per an electronic vote if the date unforeseeably has a conflict.

The board meetings will be held quarterly on a date set aside at the previous board meeting and board members may attend by electronic means."

Although not official in our bylaws, we have been trying to follow RONR procedure. 

My question is, if the President continues to want to ignore the business at hand, the VP and the Secretary want to just wait it out.  Can any other board member direct the Secretary to announce a meeting?  If RONR covers this I'm going to be extremely grateful.

Thanks!

If, in fact, the date of the meeting was set at the last meeting, then that's when the meeting takes place.

Were you under the impression that the president has to agree, or has some power to change the date or cancel the meeting?  If so, you forgot to include that part of the bylaws.  And it's not in RONR either.  So you have the meeting without him.  The VP presides, or if absent, anyone can preside.  (The secretary should call the meeting to order and quickly elect a chairman pro-tem.)

If the secretary is absent too, any member can call the meeting to order, and elect a president pro-tem, who then presides over electing a secretary pro-tem.

If, in fact, the date of the meeting was set at the last meeting, then that's when the meeting takes place.

Another meeting was not set.  There are no meetings scheduled at all.  Sorry I forgot to include that. 

What I'm trying to get to, is since there is no meeting set and I don't think the President is going to schedule any for the Board to take care of matters at hand.  Can the Treas or anyone on the Board schedule a meeting?

Another meeting was not set.  There are no meetings scheduled at all.  Sorry I forgot to include that. 

What I'm trying to get to, is since there is no meeting set and I don't think the President is going to schedule any for the Board to take care of matters at hand.  Can the Treas or anyone on the Board schedule a meeting?

I don't see how the President has anything to do with it, but it's also not clear to me that the Treasurer or "anyone on the board" can schedule a meeting. Your bylaws clearly state "The board meetings will be held quarterly on a date set aside at the previous board meeting and board members may attend by electronic means." It will be up to your society to interpret its own rules and determine how board meetings are scheduled when the board fails to schedule its next meeting. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 588-591 for some Principles of Interpretation.

Archived