The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is the mayor, city council and staff required to present factual information?

Guest Guest

Is the mayor, city council and staff required to present factual information?

Is it stated anywhere that can be referenced?

There is no explicit requirement in RONR which requires members to provide factual information, but RONR does note that "In most societies it is understood that members are required to be of honorable character and reputation" and notes that members may be subject to discipline for conduct "tending to injure the good name of the organization, disturb its well-being, or hamper it in its work" (RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 643, 644).

It should also be noted, however, that it is not appropriate to accuse a member of making false statements, let alone to accuse a member of lying. Such comments would violate the rules of decorum. If a member believes that a statement made in debate is inaccurate, he should assume good faith and politely note that he believes the speaker to be mistaken. See RONR, 11th ed., pg. 392. If it becomes necessary to investigate a member's conduct in more detail, the appropriate course of action is to use the disciplinary procedures in Ch. XX of RONR.

Since this is a city council, however, it seems highly likely that the council's rules and applicable law will be more relevant to this question than the rules in RONRand such subjects are beyond the scope of this forum.

Thank you for the responses.

I took it for granted that staff was required to provide the City Council with factual information. I recently commented to the City Council, if staff is not required to provide factual information then who represents me. In other words, the council is not really making the decision if they do not have the right information.

I have looked through city codes and state statues but have not come up with anything that says a person has to be factual and truthful, but I will continue to look.

This search began when an applicant for a conditional use permit did not include all the applicable addresses and then once occupied it was noted the applicant did not provide accurate information as to the use. An example, the applicant stated a use that ended at 9 p.m. and 10 p.m. but upon occupancy the use was through the night.

Again, I assumed that in filling out a form the applicant needed to be factual and truthful.

Apparently I have to find the city code or a law that requires the same. 

The city follows the 10th addition, but I will see what RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 392, 643, 644 has to say and read Ch. XX of RONR., and I will continue to look into the council's rules and applicable laws.

Any other comments would be appreciated.

Thank you for the responses.

I took it for granted that staff was required to provide the City Council with factual information. I recently commented to the City Council, if staff is not required to provide factual information then who represents me. In other words, the council is not really making the decision if they do not have the right information.

I have looked through city codes and state statues but have not come up with anything that says a person has to be factual and truthful, but I will continue to look.

This search began when an applicant for a conditional use permit did not include all the applicable addresses and then once occupied it was noted the applicant did not provide accurate information as to the use. An example, the applicant stated a use that ended at 9 p.m. and 10 p.m. but upon occupancy the use was through the night.

Again, I assumed that in filling out a form the applicant needed to be factual and truthful.

Apparently I have to find the city code or a law that requires the same. 

The city follows the 10th addition, but I will see what RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 392, 643, 644 has to say and read Ch. XX of RONR., and I will continue to look into the council's rules and applicable laws.

Any other comments would be appreciated.

If I understand correctly that you are not a member of the City Council, I am doubtful that RONR or this forum will be of any assistance. It seems to me that your options are to consult a lawyer or to try to elect different council members in the future.

Archived